Darjeeling: Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park (PNHZP) in Darjeeling, popular as Darjeeling Zoo, is rejoicing the birth of two red panda cubs.The two red panda cubs were born in a special facility at Tobgay Danra. Snow leopards and red pandas are bred in this non-display facility around 20 km from Darjeeling town. While one cub was born on June 23 the other was born on July 1. “The cubs are reportedly in good health but they have to be under observation for 3 months at least,” said Rajendra Jakhar, Director, Darjeeling Zoo. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThe Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park is the coordinating zoo for the red panda breeding programme (Project Red Panda) in India. The project was initiated in 1990. The first red pandas for this programme had been brought in from various European zoos like Rotterdam, Madrid and Clone Zoo during the late 80’s and early 90’s. Since then there have been around 40 zoo- bred pandas at the PNHZP. The first success of the Project Red Panda came in 1994. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highway “At present there are 13 female and 8 male red pandas at the PNHZP and the two newborn cubs,” stated the Director. The Zoo is also working towards releasing 4 captive bred red pandas in the Singhalila National Park September or October this year. The PNHZP was founded in 1958 and specialises in the captive breeding of endangered Himalayan species including Snow Leopard, Red Panda, Tibetan Wolf; Blue Sheep, Himalayan Tahr and Satyr Tragopan (crimson horned pheasant.)
Melbourne: Actor-producer Mindy Kaling has said that penning the comedy drama Late Night was a “satisfying” experience as she could connect with both the lead characters. The 40-year-old actor starred as a writer in the film who is hired mainly because she is an Indian-American in order to save the career of a seasoned late-night host, played by Emma Thompson. “The movie was so satisfying to write because I feel uniquely qualified in my life to write for both of those characters. I remember, vividly, what it’s like to be the only woman or minority in a writer’s room when I was 24 years old. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: Priyanka”But I also remember, more recently, the frustration of being an employer, having Katherine’s opposition, and being a little complacent, a little bit bored with your job. You employ all these people but you’re not always on your best behaviour and I know that feeling well,” Kaling told news.com.au. The actor-scribe, who created and starred in The Mindy Project, said one would have to do the difficult job of getting women from culturally diverse backgrounds in the writer’s room to bring about a change. “For the longest time when I was on my own show, being a showrunner and the star was so time-consuming. At times it felt like being a mentor or taking the energy to look deeper than normal on what people were submitting for characters or writers is so time-consuming.”
Kolkata: Coal India Chairman Anil Kumar Jha on Wednesday said renewables are unlikely to surpass coal as the major source for power generation in the near future and asserted that India’s energy migration scenario will be different compared to many other countries. State-owned Coal India accounts for nearly 83 per cent of the country’s coal production. “The question is can renewables take over coal completely in our country? Not in the near future at least. It would not be an exaggeration to state that Coal India Ltd (CIL) is synonymous with India’s energy scenario,” Jha told shareholders at the company’s 45th annual general meeting here. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalHis remarks also come against the backdrop of increasing focus on renewable energy sources for generation of power in different parts of the world. Jha said the energy migration scenario in India would be “different”, compared to many other countries which have been switching to renewable sources. According to him, nine mining projects having a total capacity of 69.88 million tonnes per year have been sanctioned and the estimated cost is Rs 9,093 crore. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boostBesides, two rail projects with an outlay of Rs 6,656 crore have been approved. For the first time, Coal India had breached the 600 million tonnes-mark in production as well as off-take of coal. The miner produced 606.89 million tonnes of coal and supplied 608.14 million tonnes of the dry fuel, representing growth of 6.97 per cent and 4.8 per cent, respectively, compared to the previous fiscal. During the meeting, a shareholder, however, said he was disappointed watching stock price heading towards a lifetime low of Rs 200 a piece, since the initial public offer nine years ago when the price was Rs 235 per scrip. There was chaos at the venue as security personnel prevented entry of media persons during early part of the meeting and they were later allowed after intervention of a senior official. Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi is expected to conduct a review meeting at the company’s head office on Thursday.
New Delhi: Diversified group ITC on Wednesday denied that it was in the race to acquire Coffee Day Enterprises though it was approached for a deal. A report had said the Kolkata-based group having presence in cigarettes to hospitality and IT, is considering a bid to buy stake in the Coffee Day Enterprises that runs Cafe Coffee Day chain. When contacted, an ITC spokesperson said, “ITC receives enquiries from market participants on an ongoing basis which are suitably evaluated. One such enquiry was received from an intermediary on Cafe Coffee Day. However, no progress was made on the matter.” Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalDebt-laden Coffee Day Enterprises, whose promoter and former chairman and managing director V G Siddhartha had committed suicide in July, has also been linked with Coca Cola as the company seeks to reduce its liabilities. The Coffee Day Group had said it has a total debt of Rs 4,970 crore and it was looking at divesting assets to reduce it. Last week, the company had announced sale of its Global Village Tech Park in Bengaluru to Blackstone for up to Rs 3,000 crore to cut its debt. “On receipt of the consideration for the sale of Global Village after payment of required statutory payments, the debt position of Coffee Day Group will reduce around by Rs 2,400 crore,” it had said.
Mumbai: Weakening of domestic growth impulses prompted RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das to opt for an unconventional rate cut of 35 basis points to push economic activities early this month, said the central bank on Wednesday. Two of his RBI colleagues and an independent member in the rate-setting Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) had also favoured a 35-basis point reduction, against the normal practice of 25 or 50 basis points change, in the third bi-monthly monetary policy of 2019-20. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalThe other two members, both independent, in the six-member MPC had voted for a 25-basis point cut in the policy announced on August 7. In an unusual move, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on August 7 had reduced the benchmark lending rate by 35 basis points to 5.40 per cent amid concerns over slowdown in economy. Before this, the RBI had reduced the rate thrice, each time by 25 basis points. “In view of weakening of domestic growth impulses and unsettled global macroeconomic environment, there is a need to bolster dwindling domestic demand and support investment activity, even as the impact of past three rate cuts is gradually working its way to the real economy,” said the governor, according to the minutes of the MPC released by the RBI on Wednesday. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boostThe governor said that with headline inflation projected to remain within the target over the next one year, supporting domestic growth by further reducing interest rates needs to be given the utmost priority. Given the current and evolving inflation and growth scenario at this juncture, it can no longer be a business-as-usual approach, he added. “The economy needs a larger push. I am, therefore, of the view that a reduction in the policy repo rate by conventional 25 bps will be inadequate. On the other hand, a 50 bps rate cut might be excessive and indicate a knee-jerk reaction,” he said. According to the minutes, Das further said “hence, at times it is apposite” to calibrate the size of the conventional rate adjustment, and he voted for reducing the policy repo rate by 35 basis points and for continuing with the accommodative stance of monetary policy. MPC members Bibhu Prasad Kanungo (RBI Deputy Governor), Michael Debabrata Patra (RBI Executive Director) and Ravindra H Dholakia (independent member) also favoured a 35-basis point cut in repo rate. Chetan Ghate and Pami Dua voted for a 25-basis points reduction in the repo or the short-term lending rate. While the RBI has lowered the repo rate by 1.1 percentage points in 2019, the banks are yet to pass on the entire benefit of lower interest rate to borrowers. Governor Das recently asked all banks to link their interest rate with repo for faster transmission of the central bank’s policy actions.
Mumbai: Private sector lender Yes Bank on Saturday said India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) has downgraded its long-term issuer rating to ‘IND A+’. “India Ratings and Research has downgraded Yes Bank Ltd’s long-term issuer rating to ‘IND A+’ from ‘IND AA-,” the bank said in a BSE filing. “The outlook is negative. The agency has affirmed the bank’s short-term issuer rating at ‘IND A1+’,” it added. According to Ind-Ra, ‘IND AA’ rating signifies “high degree of safety” regarding timely servicing of financial obligations, while instruments rated ‘IND A’ have “adequate degree of safety”.
Naples: Dries Mertens and Fernando Llorente scored late as holders Liverpool fell 2-0 at Napoli in the opening match of their Champions League title defence. Mertens converted a penalty on 82 minutes and Llorente added a second in stoppage time as Napoli gained a measure of revenge for last season’s 1-0 defeat at Anfield that denied the Italians a spot in the knockout rounds. The loss for Jurgen Klopp’s side makes them first reigning European champions to lose their opening game of the following campaign since AC Milan in 1994. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh However Liverpool, who sit top of the Premier League after five straight wins, remain favourites alongside Napoli to progress from Group E despite Salzburg’s thrilling 6-2 win over Genk. “Give us a few more games to change the table, but it looks like Napoli are through,” said Klopp, who tipped the Italians to go far. “Napoli can win the competition. If you have a good plan and good players, you don’t have to be the best team in the world to win the Champions League. You have to perform at the right moment.” Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later Liverpool also lost their group-stage match in Naples last season before going on to lift a sixth European Cup. “Being able to match Liverpool is impressive as they are the best team in Europe at the moment,” said Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti. But the three-time Champions League winning coach warned: “The season is long, there is still a long road ahead.” Goalscorer Llorente joined Napoli this season after playing his last game for former club Tottenham in the Champions League final defeat to Liverpool in Madrid in June. He came on as a substitute and pounced on a rare Virgil van Dijk blunder after Mertens had opened the scoring from the spot to cause pandemonium among the crowd at the fiery Stadio San Paolo. After two difficult opening matches in Serie A with seven goals conceded, Ancelotti’s side seem to have clicked into gear. Napoli defenders Kalidou Kouilbaly and Mario Rui neutralised the threat of Egyptian star Mohamed Salah and Senegal’s Sadio Mane. – ‘Curious, unusual goals’ – Ancelotti praised his side for their “very orderly and compact” performance. “It wasn’t all perfect tonight,” the former Chelsea and AC Milan manager. “It was a very evenly balanced game. Liverpool played better than last season. “But I like the way we defended with the basics when it was still 0-0 and that’s what allowed us to have those late chances. “And when everything seemed lost, when Liverpool were in control, the team took advantage of two goals which came in curious and unusual circumstances.” Fabian Ruiz was twice denied early by Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian, who also pulled off an impressive one-handed save on Mertens after 49 minutes. For Liverpool, Salah and Mane had threatened before Firmino missed a chance to open the scoring just before half-time when his header flashed wide and Napoli goalkeeper Alex Meret’s fingertip save at full stretch denied Salah on 65 minutes. The breakthrough came eight minutes from time after Jose Callejon went down easily in the box under pressure from Andy Robertson, with Mertens slotting in the penalty, awarded without consultation of VAR. Llorente then pounced on Van Dijk’s loose pass to claim his first Napoli goal, sealing a famous win for the hosts. “You want to have at least a point and we didn’t get that because of the penalty,” said Klopp. “When the player jumps before there is contact it cannot be a penalty. We cannot change that any more, so now we carry on. That’s it.”