Richard “Dick” McDaniel, age 61

first_imgRichard “Dick” McDaniel, 61, of Metamora, IN died Saturday, January 16, 2016 at Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, where he had been a patient for several months.He was born June 20, 1954 in Laurel, IN, one of ten children of Richard and Etta Gumm McDaniel and was a lifelong resident of Franklin County.A 1972 graduate of Laurel High School, in July of 1972 he enlisted in the U. S. Navy and served a tour of duty in Vietnam. He was awarded the National Defense Service Medal and Meritorious Unit Commendation. He was honorably discharged in 1974.On January 18, 1975, he was married to Anita Reece of Metamora in Rushville, IN. Mrs. McDaniel survives.He had been employed for several years at Sperry Rubber in Brookville and had also managed Gulley’s Sunoco Station in Metamora. For many years, he was employed by the U. S. Postal Service in both Brookville and Connersville. After his retirement, he worked as an assessor in Greensburg.In his leisure, he enjoyed watching sports, coaching basketball and was a car enthusiast. He loved spending time with his nieces and nephews.Survivors besides his wife include three brothers, Clarence McDaniel and wife, Malvery, of Ft. Wayne, IN, Walker McDaniel, of Milroy, IN and Marvin McDaniel and wife, Cheryl, of Laurel; and a number of nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews.He was preceded in death by his parents; three brothers, Bill, Charlie and James and three sisters, Ginny, Gladys and Ann.Funeral services will be conducted by Reverend Wayne Ison and Reverend Tom Marshall at 2 PM Friday, January 22, 2016 at the Metamora Church of God, 20152 US 52, where friends may call from 4 until 8 PM Thursday. Burial, with military rites will be in Cupps Chapel Cemetery.Memorial contributions are requested to the American Diabetes Association.Miller, Moster, Robbins Funeral home is in charge of the arrangements and friends may also visit anytime at millermosterrobbins.com.last_img read more

Losing more gold medals? Not worried says Bolt

first_imgUsain Bolt The world’s fastest man Usain ‘Lightning’ Bolt says he harbors no fear of losing further relay medals should future tests reveal doping violations by teammates.Bolt, former world record holder Asafa Powell and Michael Frater were stripped of their 2008 Olympic 4x100m relay gold medal when first leg runner Nesta Carter tested positive for methylhexaneamine after samples were re-tested.Bolt’s Olympic medal tally was reduced to eight instead of nine as a result, robbing him of the famous triple-triple accolade in the process.The medals lost could, however, be quite significant for the global icon should Carter’s samples fail to pass the future re-tests.Carter was the starter in the 2012 Olympic Games relay team and 2011, 2013 and 2015 World Championship teams.  The 31-year-old Carter has since appealed the ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).“Even if I lose all my relay gold medals, for me, I did what I had to do, my personal goals,” Bolt said in a recent CNN interview.The sprinter has ruled out an appearance at the 2022 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.“Maybe if it had come before the Olympics, maybe it would have taken away a little from me, and then I would have thought about it, but the fact that I got the chance to say, ‘the triple-triple,’ kind of made me feel good,” he said.last_img read more