Infraero Anticipates Investment of 6.48 Billion Reais in Brazilian Airports by 2014

first_img Airports in Brazil will receive 6.48 billion reais in investments between now and 2014, when the country will host the World Cup, Infraero superintendent Jonas Lopes said today, days after the country’s World Cup infrastructure was the target of criticism. Out of this total, which will come from Infraero (51%) and the federal government (49%), 5.4 billion reais will be invested in the fourteen airports serving the twelve World Cup host cities, the state-owned company announced. “According to studies commissioned by the Ministry of Defense, during the World Cup, the volume of passengers will increase approximately 10% over the estimated transit for the year,” Infraero said in a statement. The forecast for 2014 without the World Cup would be 26 million passengers, stated Lopes. At some airports, such as Guarulhos (São Paulo), Campinas (São Paulo), and Brasília, Infraero anticipates the installation of operational modules that will support efforts to meet the demand on those terminals. The airport situation is what is most worrisome for the competition that Brazil will host, according to the president of the Brazilian Soccer Confederation and the World Cup organizing committee, Ricardo Teixeira. Last week, in an interview in South Africa, Teixeira was not able to provide information regarding investment and said that the area was Infraero’s responsibility. However, FIFA’s general-secretary, Jerome Valcke, said that Brazil will be divided into “four regions to guarantee that fans will not have to travel for more than one or two hours between stadiums.” The idea is to avoid long trips for the teams between the twelve cities that will host the games: Belo Horizonte, Brasília, Cuiabá, Curitiba, Fortaleza, Manaus, Natal, Porto Alegre, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, and São Paulo. By Dialogo July 16, 2010last_img read more

Butlerville fire claims lives of two children

first_imgBUTLERVILLE, Ind. — Two children died in a house fire late last week near Butlerville.According to the Jennings County Sheriff’s Department, crews responded to a 911 call around 11:15 PM to the 1300 block of North County Road 615 East in Campbell Township.When crews arrived the house was fully engulfed. Homeowner Kenneth Collett, 55, escaped and was transported to St. Vincent Jennings Hospital before being transferred to an Indianapolis hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation.Collett told officials he was unable to locate two children in the home because of the thick smoke and flames.The bodies of the two children, ages 3 and 4, were found after the fire was extinguished.last_img read more