Kane hails special moment

first_img Kane told Spurs TV: “It’s great to reach that milestone. It felt like I was on 29 for ages and to be able to get to 30 now and 20 in the league is special – and to win the game makes it even better. “The season doesn’t finish here, though. There are still five more games left and I’ll be trying to get on the scoresheet in as many of those games and get as many wins as we can.” Kane’s strike at St James’ Park cemented a comfortable victory for the visitors on a day when the home fans staged concerted protests against owner Mike Ashley. Their mood was not improved when Nacer Chadli fired Spurs into a 30th-minute lead, and although Jack Colback levelled within 20 seconds of the restart, Christian Eriksen restored their advantage just seven minutes later. The Magpies committed men to the search for an equaliser as time ran down, and Kane made the most of a lack of numbers at the back in injury-time when he raced through to beat keeper Tim Krul. He said: “We needed it. We’ve had two disappointing results in the last couple of weeks and we had to put that right. “Newcastle is no easy place to come, but we played really well. We kept the ball well, we created chances and deserved the win. “They put us on the back foot straight away [after half-time], which was disappointing from our point of view, but again, it shows our character. We went again and got the second goal, and obviously finished it off with the third, so we were really happy with the win.” The 21-year-old England international became the first Spurs player to reach that mark since Gary Lineker during the 1991-92 season when he netted the third in a 3-1 Barclays Premier League victory at Newcastle on Sunday. He had to wait almost a month after his 29th of the campaign to reach the milestone, but with five games to play before the end of the campaign, he is refusing to rest on his laurels. Harry Kane is in no mood to put his feet up after smashing through the 30-goal barrier. It proved a good afternoon too for Chadli, who took his tally for the season to nine goals in the league with his fine first-half strike, a swerving left-foot effort from distance. He was delighted to get his name on the scoresheet, but even more pleased with a win which helped to erase the memory of last weekend’s 1-0 home defeat by Aston Villa. Chadli said: “I’m working on it. Every week for me, the most important thing is for the team to win and I was happy to score. “We were all disappointed in the week, so it was very important to bounce back. We prepared for this game very well. We trained hard and were focussed in training, so it was important to take the win.” But while there was a general satisfaction around the Tottenham camp as they prepared to head south, it was Kane who was the toast of the Toon as he continued his emergence as a striker of genuine potential. Manager Mauricio Pochettino insisted after the game that there was more to come from the home-grown frontman, but also urged patience to allow him to develop at his own pace. However, there is an appreciation within the dressing room of the talent the club has on its hands. Commenting on Kane’s goals tally, Chadli said:”It’s a lot, and he deserves it. He works every week very hard to make it happen, and he did it.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Former MSD Administrator Under Investigation Retires Early

first_imgA former administrator at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland has retired early, in the midst of a Broward school district investigation about his role in last year’s shooting.Jeff Morford was an assistant principal at the school when the massacre that took 17 lives and injured another 17 people occurred on February 14, 2018. He has been accused by a state commission of failing to help prevent such a situation.Morford had signed up for a deferred retirement program last year and was planning to leave in 2023, according to district records. However, his last day was September 4.Lisa Maxwell, executive director of the Broward Principals and Assistants Association, says he decided to retire early as a result of “overall trauma” from the massacre. She adds, “He’s been re-traumatized over and over again. He’s just done.”According to Maxwell, prosecutors in the criminal case for killer Nikolas Cruz have required the former assistant principal to repeatedly watch video of the shooting, which killed coach and security monitor Chris Hixon, with whom Maxwell was good friends.The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission, which is still investigating the tragedy, concluded that Morford had mishandled a September 2016 threat assessment of Cruz, who was a student at the school at that time.A 2018 report from the commission states that Morford was not competent in such tasks, and had never handled such evaluations during his 31-year career.Assistant Principal Denise Reed told the commission, “Jeff is old school. He only did operations. He never did any discipline at where he was at his previous location and so Jeff said: ‘I don’t even know where to find a threat assessment.’”A student told the commission that he and a classmate warned Morford that they were concerned about Cruz being a school shooter, since Cruz had reportedly looked up guns on a school computer, pretended to shoot birds on campus, and alleged that he liked seeing people in pain.The student said that Morford and a deputy did not seem concerned, and that Morford told the student to Google “autism,” implying that Cruz had the condition.The report adds, “Morford told the students that Cruz was being sent to alternative school and they did not need to worry.”The commission asked the district to investigate how Morford handled the threat review. Upon finding that Morford’s inability to answer detailed questions did not seem credible, they hired a law firm to review his actions, as well as those of two other assistant principals and a security specialist. Former Principal Ty Thompson was added to the list last March.Runcie informed the commission that the investigation should be finished later this month or next month.The administrators were transferred to new jobs this summer. Morford had been serving as an assistant principal at Coconut Creek High School, but was reportedly not able to avoid the daily stress caused by the shooting.In addition to his administrative duties, Morford opened a bar in Pompano Beach last summer called the Axe Throwing Society. It features 14 ax-throwing “lanes” that look like fenced-in batting cages, where customers can fling lightweight axes at wooden targets.last_img read more

ALL-IRELAND SEMI-FINAL BRAWL IN DONEGAL PUB LANDS WOMAN IN COURT

first_imgA NUMBER of women argued and fought in a pub after watching Donegal win last year’s All-Ireland semi-final, a court has heard.The incident took place on August 26 last year as patrons of the Shamrock Bar in Ballybofey watched the game.Before Letterkenny District Court today Clarissa Cairns, from Townparks, Convoy, pleaded guilty to assault, being threatening and abusive in a public place and being drunk in a public place. Inspector Michael Harrison told the court that the entire incident was captured on CCTV images in the pub and involved a row between several women.He said the footage showed 19-year-old Cairns dancing in the vicinity of two other women on the dance floor of the pub.Cairns could then be seen running out to the smoking area of the bar where the offence took place.“The camera captures the defendant arguing with another female and a row develops. Miss Cairns is involved in that row,” said Inspector Harrison.“It involves a whole pile of girls fighting with each other; it seems to go on for quite a while,” he said.Defence solicitor Donagh Cleary said Ms Cairns made a statement to Gardai saying she was very drunk on the evening in question and later apologised to all concerned.“She apologised for stuff she wasn’t certain she did do,” said Mr Cleary.Inspector Harrison added: “There was a huge amount of alcohol taken.”Mr Cleary said his client deeply regretted the incident.She was hoping to embark on a career in healthcare and had just returned from a holiday in Seville, Spain, run by the Wider Horizons Project.Judge Paul Kelly said he would give Cairns “an opportunity” as this was her first offence.He told Cairns: “When you take part in this sort of behaviour you will find it difficult to travel to other countries in future.”He ordered her to make a €150 donation to charity.The Shamrock Bar has since closed.ALL-IRELAND SEMI-FINAL BRAWL IN DONEGAL PUB LANDS WOMAN IN COURT was last modified: September 9th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:All-Ireland semi-finalbrawlcastlefinndonegalShamrock Barlast_img read more