Pedestrian killed by sheared lightpole in chain-reaction crash

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NORTH HOLLYWOOD – A 40-year-old pedestrian waiting to cross a street was killed after being hit by a lightpole that sheared off when a pickup truck smashed into it in a chain-reaction collision, police said today. Arsen Gevorgyan, 40, of North Hollywood was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which occurred just before noon Sunday at Victory Boulevard and Whitsett Avenue, police said. A 1998 Dodge Ram pickup truck caromed off a 1992 Honda Civic trying to make a left turn from Victory to Whitsett. The crash caused the truck to lose control and shear a light pole at the northwest corner of the intersection where Gevorgyan was waiting to cross the street, police said. Paramedics pronounced Gevorgyan dead at the scene. No one else was injured, but a dog riding in the pickup truck was thrown from the vehicle. The dog suffered leg injuries. Neither alcohol nor drugs was a factor in the crash, said Los Angeles Police Detective Dave Millan, of the Valley Traffic Division, who was investigating the cause of the crash. Millan said there have been other serious crashes at that intersection, which does not have a northbound left-hand turn signal, something he was going to look into. “It seems right now its a tragic accident,” Millan said. “We need a left-hand turning arrow here and these are the reasons why.”last_img read more

‘I’m happy to stay at Liverpool for as long as possible’ – Sterling quashes Real Madrid talk

first_imgRaheem Sterling has handed Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers a huge boost by insisting he is happy to commit his long-term future to the club.The 19-year-old, whose current contract expires at Anfield in 2017, was said to be stalling over a new deal amid interest from European champions Real Madrid.But he has now moved to quash the speculation over his future by confirming he is ready to put pen-to-paper on an extension.That news will come as a huge relief to Reds supporters and boss Rodgers, under pressure after a less than impressive start to the season.Quoted in several national newspapers, Sterling said: “I am happy to be here for as long as possible. Hopefully I can achieve the goals I want to achieve here at Liverpool in years to come.“I am just happy to play football at this club for many years to come. The club has spoken to my representatives and hopefully something can be done soon.”Sterling found himself in the spotlight off the pitch recently after England boss Roy Hodgson revealed the player had told him he was tired ahead of the final training session in the build-up to last month’s Euro 2016 qualifier against Estonia in Tallinn.That led to accusations the teenager had said he did not want to play, but Sterling insists nothing could be further from the truth – and says he has learned from the experience.“It was pretty difficult,” he said. “I tried to not really watch TV much or listen to things.“If I saw a conversation about me on TV, I would just turn over. It was the first time I’d had to deal with anything like that. It was different but I felt I dealt with it really well. I didn’t read too much into it.“The main thing I’ve learned is to just shut off. I was always on my phone and Instagram – things would pop up and you could not go past it without having a look. But now I’ve learned to block it all out and not read what is said.“I just love playing football for club or country. If anything I said got taken the wrong way, I’m sorry about that, but I am always happy to play football.” 1 Raheem Sterling last_img read more