Jokowi must make case for lockdown as COVID-19 may spark social unrest: Report

first_imgPresident Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s administration must make the case for a lockdown in Indonesia as the COVID-19 pandemic is projected to overrun health systems and put a strain on the economy, which may lead to social unrest, according to a recent report by a London-based business consulting group, the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).The report, released on Friday, casts a dark outlook over the country’s fight against the pandemic while also emphasizing the need for a lockdown to curtail the spread of the coronavirus. The group stated that Indonesia did not have enough resources and lacked the ability to contain the spread of COVID-19.“The possibility of social unrest is high. It is essential that the government makes the case for lockdowns with clarity, precision and sensitivity, or else a greater number of lives will be lost,” the report said. The EIU projected Indonesia’s health system to be overrun with cases, as access to intensive-care beds are limited while protective measures toward health workers remain insufficient.A leaked document obtained by The Jakarta Post on March 13 shows that, of the Health Ministry’s list of 132 COVID-19 referral hospitals, only 49 are “ready”. The document is the minutes of a meeting involving several institutions, including the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) and the Health Ministry, on March 10.“As in many low- and middle-income countries, this lack of capacity is likely to raise the fatality rate. Health workers will also face higher risks than in some developed countries owing to a lack of protective equipment,” the report stated.On the economic front, the EIU projects COVID-19 to severely disrupt the Indonesian economy despite coordinated and swift responses from the government and Bank Indonesia (BI) to keep the economy afloat. Topics :center_img “The government and BI have so far provided a coordinated response, but a steep slowdown this year is certain. The economy will suffer deeply,” according to the report.Indonesia has allocated Rp 120 trillion (US$7.5 billion) from this year’s state budget for stimulus packages to cushion the economic impacts of the pandemic. The central government has also bought about Rp 163 trillion worth of government bonds to stabilize the country’s financial market.Despite such efforts, BI data recorded Rp 105.1 trillion in capital outflow as of Thursday, of which foreign investors dumped Rp 92.8 trillion worth of government bonds and Rp 8.3 trillion in stocks.The rupiah has weakened more than 15 percent against the dollar this year, touching Rp 16,000 per US dollar as of Friday, a level unseen since the 1998 crisis.The EIU also put a spotlight on the impact the COVID-19 will have on Ramadan and Idul Fitri, when the group predicts millions will be barred from going to their hometown during the holiday season’s annual exodus.“We believe that the government will be forced to restrict travel during Idul Fitri, if not before. This would be unprecedented, and a significant military and police presence could be required to maintain order,” the report said. (mpr)last_img read more

‘PRODUCT OF SPECULATION’ PECO presscon aims to confuse public – ERC

first_imgMarcelo Cacho, head of Panay Electric Co.’s Public Engagement and Government Affairs, briefs reporters on Nov. 14, 2019 in Makati City during a press conference that the Energy Regulatory Commission has distanced itself from. PECO, whose franchise expired on Jan.19 this year, failed to convince Congress to renew it on the heels of mountingconsumer complaints on the poor quality of its service. ERC investigated the pole fires afterreceiving a complaint from Mayor Jerry Treñas. Criticizing the press conference,Devanadera stressed, “Prematurereporting of the outcome of our investigation is but a product of speculationthat serves no purpose, except to confuse the public.” “Thefindings of the technical team will be presented to the Commission on Monday(today, Nov. 18) and released to the public accordingly,” said Devanadera.   ERC remains independent in thedischarge of its functions, including the conduct of investigations, stressedChairperson Agnes Devanadera. “It would be prudent for theCommission to evaluate and analyze the situation surrounding the reported polefire incidents holistically and not on a per incident or asset basis. The waythat the poles are maintained over the years and the remaining useful life ofthe poles also need to be looked into. We are mindful of the urgency ofresolving this matter and we wish to assure the public that this is among thepriority concerns of the Commission,” said Devanadera. Days before the press conference, PECO,through its legal team Divina Law, invited members of the Metro Manila mediastating, “The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has conducted an investigationon the maintenance of the distribution lines of Panay Electric Co. (PECO)to shed light on the situation. They recently completed the investigation andwe are pleased to invite you to a press briefing of PECO and its counsel,the Divina Law, on Nov. 14, Thursday, 10 a.m. so that we would be able to sharethe results of the findings and the outcome of the ERC hearing.” “The ERChas no participation, in any manner, in the said (Nov. 14) press conference,”stressed Devanadera. Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP)records submitted to the ERC showed that from Jan. 1, 2014 to Oct. 29, 2019 atotal of 2,887 fire incidents occurred in Iloilo City, with pole firesnumbering 1,464 cases, or 51.187 percent of all fire incidents during thealmost six-year period. ILOILO City – The Energy RegulatoryCommission (ERC) slammed Panay Electric Co. (PECO) for making it appear thatthe agency was part of a recent press conference that the franchise-less powerdistributor held in Metro Manila. ERC has completed its field inspection and data gathering on theseries of pole fire incidents in this city. ERC dispatched an inspection team inthe first week of November. It looked into the various aspects ofPECO’s distribution system.  The Commission likewise directed PECO to submit a written comprehensivereport on the pole fire incidents. “In the past few days, we are alarmedto have received information that multiple fires broke out all over the city ofIloilo, the causes of which were directly attributable to poorly-maintainedfacilities owned by PECO,” read part of Treñas’ letter to the ERC. Iloilo City fire marshal ChiefInspector Christopher Regencia reiterated that telecommunications companies’wires usually carry a 24-volt charge as opposed to PECO wires which has a220-voltage charge and said, “Only electricity wires, either damaged oroverloaded, can cause fires and not telephone or cable TV wires.” Two hundred and twenty-four pole firesoccurred out of the 427 fire incidents in 2014, while 228 cases of pole fireshappened in 2015, 303 cases in 2016, 275 incidents in 2017, and another 233pole fires in 2018.A total of 201 pole fires erupted in the city from January to Oct. 27, 2019. According to Devanadera, “the partiesconcerned have been summoned by the Commission to shed light on theseincidents” on Oct. 30. It is currently operating on aprovisional Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (CPCN) from the ERCuntil the new distribution utility, More Electric and Power Corp., completesits full takeover of the city’s distribution system./PN During the press conference, PECOhad a projector screen that flashed “PECO ERC PRESSCON, an enlightened past, abright future.”last_img read more

Daniels delivers all-around performance for Syracuse in Seton Hall series finale

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 22, 2013 at 1:27 am Contact Jesse: jcdoug01@syr.edu | @dougherty_jesse Standing over the left side of the batter’s box in the bottom of the third inning, Shirley Daniels used the top of her bat to draw a cross in the dirt, the letter “D” in the top-right corner of it. Just two weeks ago, Daniels’ friend died in a car crash. The cross and “D” is a way for her to remember him before each at-bat.Daniels fouled back Seton Hall pitcher Danielle DeStaso’s first offering, then used the second one to honor her friend in an even grander way. Daniels smacked a solo home run that cleared the netting of the outfield wall and landed well behind the fence in right.“I always play for God,” Daniels said. “But today was also in remembrance of him.”After dropping both games of Saturday’s doubleheader, Syracuse (17-24, 5-9 Big East) edged Seton Hall (16-24, 4-10) 4-3 at SU Softball Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Daniels’ speed is what makes her a recognized name throughout the Big East, but she showed Sunday she can do more than just run. She delivered not only with her legs but with her bat and glove, as well, to help the team avoid a weekend sweep.Her routine has been one the Orange can rely on.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textDaniels led the game with a walk after an eight-pitch at-bat. She then took head coach Leigh Ross’ sign from across the diamond and readied herself to run. When DeStaso tossed her first offering to Veronica Grant, Daniels flew toward second and slid in way ahead of the throw.Safe and untouched.“Shirley comes everyday and wants to produce for us, and today she did a good job,” Ross said. “To know that she can always take second base and we don’t need to give up an out helps our offense out so much.”She’s attempted 26 steals on the season and has been safe every time. Her steal in the first inning on Sunday added to her Big East-leading total, and helped her pass former SU speedster Stephanie Watts for fourth on the program’s all-time, single-season list.“I didn’t know I had that many steals,” Daniels said of her stolen base mark. “26, really? I guess it’s pretty cool to be leading the conference in something.”After starting the game with a walk and a steal, Daniels displayed sure-handedness in the field and a versatile skill set at the plate.“We need someone to step up, and it’s nice to have her doing it,” Grant said. “We definitely needed a spark and she provided that today.”After Kuwik walked Seton Hall shortstop Brittany Hammer with two outs in the top of the third, DeStaso slowly walked to the plate. DeStaso owned SU on Saturday, grabbing a win in game one of the doubleheader and collecting four RBIs on four hits in the two games, including a home run in each.She took the first offering from Kuwik and drove it deep to right field. Daniels tracked the ball while running backward, but it seemed like it would easily clear the fence. Then, she jumped up and grabbed it out of mid-air, pulling the would-be home run back into the field of play just before DeStaso gave the Pirates a two-run lead.As Daniels used the fence to push herself up, the SU crowd erupted and her teammates waited for her at the first-base line.But there was no time for celebration. She was due up first in the bottom of third and hastily grabbed her bat and helmet so she could time DeStaso’s pitches in the on-deck circle.She put the Orange on the scoreboard with her fourth home run of the season.“That catch that she made was incredible,” Ross said. “And then for her to quickly run in and get focused on hitting was even better. Showed how tough she is.” Commentslast_img read more

Aiyegbeni: I Want to End My Football Career in England

first_img“I’ve always said I would love to end my career in England and that plan is still on track.”Aiyegbeni has scored 96 Premier League goals – more than any other Nigerian and just five less than the top-ranked African scorer Didier Drogba.His career in England began 14 years ago and has played in the top flight for Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Everton and Blackburn.He has now dropped down to League One, where Coventry is rooted to the foot of the table, but is determined to show he can still make an impact.“My career in England started in 2003 and I have been very lucky to play for some top managers and teams,” Aiyegbeni added.“Things are quite tough for Coventry City at the moment and I understand what is expected of me.“I had the opportunity to train with the players here, I see great qualities and believe things can get better.“I love scoring goals and helping my team-mates to score, together we can lift the club.“I know this league very well because I have played in it with Leicester City and Reading in the past.”Coventry City Manager, Russell Slade, further shed light on the signing of Aiyegbeni and believes that the club have landed a player with “a terrific goal record.”The former Premier League star will stay at the club “on a deal running until May 2017, pending international clearance.”“We’re pleased to have secured the signing of Yakubu, who brings vast experience and a terrific goal record.“His professional career speaks for itself, having scored consistently at the highest level of English football, and he will act as a superb role model for the younger players.“He is astute on the ball, has clear quality and presence and we’ll continue to work on his match fitness as we prepare for the final 16 games of this season,” Slade told the club’s website.The striker will wear number 22 at Coventry City.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Former Super Eagles forward, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, has revealed he wants to end his career in England after signing for Coventry on Monday.The 34-year-old has a decade of experience in England but in the last five years he has played abroad apart from a brief spell at Reading.He told BBC Sport: “I left to play in China, Qatar and Turkey, but my family and heart was always in England.last_img read more