PPP condemns Govt’s “callous decisions” on sugar industry

first_imgWales closure fallout… says Wales workers right in demanding severance package… GAWU slams Govt for misinformation over severanceThe People’s Progressive Party (PPP) has again come to the defence of the hundreds of displaced cane harvesters of the Wales Sugar Estate, who over the past week have been clamouring for what they said are their well-deserved severance packages.The party, in a statement issued on Tuesday, condemned the “high-handed approach of Government in its dealings with the sugar industry” and pointed to the rigorous economic toll it is taking on the country.Alluding to the situation at the West Bank Demerara sugar factory, the PPP stressed that it does not support Government’s callous decisions.GAWU President Komal Chand“The cruelty of the Government is demonstrated by the treatment meted to the workers of Wales Estate. Having closed the industry without any consultations with the workers or their union, the A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change Government had refused to comply with the Severance Pay Act. This forced the union to approach the courts for an order compelling [Guyana Sugar Corporation] GuySuCo to negotiate with the union”.The parliamentary Opposition said even after obtaining the order of the court, and following negotiations with the union, GuySuCo still refuses to pay the agreed severance packages to the workers, causing the current protest action.“The PPP strongly supports the workers in their just demand that their severance package be paid immediately and accordance with the law,” the Party said in a release on Wednesday.MisinformationMeanwhile, the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) has also lashed out at the Agriculture Ministry which on Monday stated that all redundant workers from Wales Estate were paid their severance payments.“The Ministry’s assertion is plainly misleading and our Union wonders whether the Ministry is intently misinforming the public. So far, less than a hundred workers, who are GAWU members, have received their severance pay. Those payments were settled belatedly last September rather than, as was expected, in late April 2016.As it regards the demand by the cane cutters and cane transport operators for their severance, GAWU is urging the Ministry and its advisers to acquaint themselves with the Termination of Employment and Severance Pay Act (TESPA). There, it said they will quickly see that the workers’ entitlement for severance is upheld.“Moreover, we must reiterate that GuySuCo, in our Union’s presence, last December communicated to a number of workers that their jobs were redundant and they were entitled to severance, if they chose not to go to Uitvlugt. Here, we must point out that those workers who were already severed declined GuySuCo’s offer of going to Uitvlugt and demanded their severance which the company rightly obliged. We ask then why is a different ‘yardstick’ being applied to the current contingent of workers?” the Union questioned.GAWU said the Ministry and GuySuCo have also assured of the availability of company transportation for the workers. It said this is not a new idea since for decades now, sugar workers have been transported to work. Such a benefit, like others, came into being due to the struggles by workers in the past.The Union said its workers are labelled as disingenuous; however, that label best fits GuySuCo and, seemingly, the Agriculture Ministry.“There is no merger of Wales and Uitvlugt factory operations as asserted in the statement. The fact is that cane cultivation and sugar processing have ended at Wales and the estate is now sadly closed. No amount of semantics can wish away this depressing fact,” GAWU said.The Union said workers were concerned about their job security, and expressly called for Wales not to be closed in order to save their main source of livelihood.“They, at no time, promoted the transfer of their jobs some 22 miles away to Uitvlugt. Their call unfortunately fell on deaf ears and did not find favour with the Administration. Now, GuySuCo is seeking to rub salt in the deep wounds it inflicted by trampling on their right to severance pay and seeking to cover its insensitivity by resorting to hackneyed and old claim of ‘politically instigated”.“The Ministry’s statement also exclaims that there is no option than for the workers to accept employment at Uitvlugt”. GAWU said it was clear that the Ministry and those in charge are at “sea” or they have been receiving bad advice from the Sugar Corporation.“We urge that those in authority to note that Section 21(4) (b) of TESPA requires an employer to provide workers with their severance payments if the employer is unable to provide a similar job “at the same place of employment or within a radius of ten (10) miles therefrom under no less favourable conditions than those such employee enjoyed immediately prior to the termination”. The Sugar Corporation, by its actions, and the Ministry, by its insistence, are promoting positions that are contrary to law, apart from being unsympathetic to the workers’ welfare.GAWU, at this time, stands solidly with the workers and is supportive of their just demand”.last_img read more

Arsenal transfer update! Wenger claims Gunners ARE looking at new signings

first_img Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger 1 Arsene Wenger has told Arsenal fans to be patient as he looks to strengthen the squad in January and says he will be doing everything to make a new signing before the end of the month.The Arsenal manager has been strongly linked with moves for West Ham defender Winston Reid, Celtic’s Virgil van Dijk and Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko.Wenger has been plagued with injury problems this season, especially to his defence and suffered another major setback on Sunday when Mathieu Debuchy dislocated his shoulder.But he is not prepared to make a panic buy and says he could wait until the end of January before making his move in the transfer window.Wenger said: “We are active, but not conclusive. That sums it up. We are out there – we look at all the different options.“We know that it’s not an easy market because other clubs are out as well.“You can imagine that the best players are not walking out there looking for clubs.“We have to be patient but creative. If something interesting comes up, it is something we can do.”last_img read more

US Routs Dominicans, 106-71

first_imgBILBAO, Spain — Kenneth Faried kept up his sharp shooting with 16 points and the U.S. national team rolled to a 4-0 start with a 106-71 victory over the Dominican Republic on Sept. 3.The Americans surpassed 100 points for the second time in the tournament — and they were “held” to 98 points in their other two games.They led by only three points after one quarter but had no trouble extending that as the game went on, as the Dominicans’ willingness to push the pace simply played into the Americans’ hands.Faried made 8 of 11 shots, a 73-percent clip that actually lowered his percentage for the tournament after the Denver forward came into the game hitting 81 percent.The Americans will finish Group C play Sept. 4 against Ukraine before playing their round of 16 game on Sept. 6 against the fourth-place team from Group D, which is still to be determined.The Dominican Republic (2-2) will face Turkey on Sept. 4, still in position to advance.The Dominicans played without Houston Rockets forward Francisco Garcia, who entered the day’s play tied for fourth in the tournament with 21 points per game.He appeared to turn an ankle late in the Dominicans’ victory over Finland on Sept. 2, and though he finished the game, was walking gingerly as he went to the bench after his teammates had come out to warm up.The Americans ended up winning nearly as easily as their 105-62 exhibition victory on Aug. 20 in New York, though the Dominicans hung with them a little longer than that night.The U.S. lead was just 25-22 as the Dominicans attacked fearlessly but didn’t have any answer for the Americans’ bigs. Faried had three straight baskets, a couple of them powerful dunks, and Anthony Davis knocked down a jumper to turn a seven-point lead into a 44-29 cushion.Gay got the final four points of the half, making a pair of free throws after he was clobbered intentionally on a breakaway by Edward Santana, then banking in a jumper that make it 56-41.A 25-point third quarter was followed by 25 more in the fourth, capped by a series of dunks from end-of-the-bench players Andre Drummond and Mason Plumlee.(BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

World Cup 2019: Bollywood congratulates England on maiden win but heartbroken for New Zealand

first_imgEngland won the Cricket World Cup yesterday in a nail-biting finish against New Zealand. Bollywood celebrities lauded the performance of both the teams, and took to Twitter to send congratulatory wishes.Riteish Deshmukh was full of praise for England and called it “cricket at its best.” He wrote, “Cricket at its best – Epic #WorldCupFinals – Congratulations @englandcricket the Champions of world cricket. My heart goes out to @BLACKCAPS – they were so so good- for me they are the uncrowned champs of #WorldCup2019.”Cricket at its best – Epic #WorldCupFinals – Congratulations @englandcricket the Champions of world cricket. My heart goes out to @BLACKCAPS – they were so so good- for me they are the uncrowned champs of #WorldCup2019Riteish Deshmukh (@Riteishd) July 14, 2019Anupam Kher shared a video from the Lord’s cricket ground and captioned his post, “CRICKET IS THE WINNER in this #WorldCupFinal2019. What an unbelievable match!!! Congratulations England. Amazing Victory!! And #NewZealand is a team of Heroes. Jai Ho!!”CRICKET IS THE WINNER in this #WorldCupFinal2019. What an unbelievable match!!! Congratulations England. Amazing Victory!! And #NewZealand is a team of Heroes. Jai Ho!! pic.twitter.com/JEacLTwWCWAnupam Kher (@AnupamPKher) July 14, 2019Karan Johar wrote, “England had a better kundli! NZ had the better game!!! #NZLvENG.”England had a better kundli! NZ had the better game!!! #NZLvENGKaran Johar (@karanjohar) July 14, 2019Varun Dhawan seemed rather stunned by the outcome and wrote, “What a #WorldCupfinal. Unbelievable my entire family is awake. Who u got.”What a #WorldCupfinal. Unbelievable my entire family is awake. Who u gotadvertisementVarun Dhawan (@Varun_dvn) July 14, 2019A nostalgic Vivek Oberoi tweeted, “The country where cricket was born 6/700 years ago, has finally won the #WorldCup for the very first time! Congrats #eng What a historic match! Truly the great sport of #cricket won today! #WC19 #WCFINAL #ENGvN.”The country where cricket was born 6/700 years ago, has finally won the #WorldCup for the very first time! Congrats #eng What a historic match! Truly the great sport of #cricket won today! #WC19 #WCFINAL #ENGvNZVivek Anand Oberoi (@vivekoberoi) July 14, 2019Neha Dhupia was heartbroken for New Zealand. She wrote, “Hearts been racing for a while … this kind of drama cannot be written by the best screenplay writers… heartbroken for #NewZealand … this was so so so close… two yards too far!!! Well played #England … #CWC2019.”Farhan Akhtar seemed to have been switching channels between the Tennis Wimbledon and the Cricket World Cup. He wrote, “Has there been a better Sunday for a genuine sports enthusiast.. the Wimbledon and the Cricket World Cup finals going down to the wire. Wow..!! Exhausted.”Has there been a better Sunday for a genuine sports enthusiast.. the Wimbledon and the Cricket World Cup finals going down to the wire. Wow..!! Exhausted ..Farhan Akhtar (@FarOutAkhtar) July 14, 2019Team India had made it to the semi-finals, but finally lost to New Zealand.ALSO READ | Pooja Batra marries Nawab Shah in hush-hush ceremony, shares adorable photos. See picsALSO WATCH | Deepika Padukone marries Ranveer Singh in Italylast_img read more