Olympians Arthur Wint, Herb McKenley and Dennis Johnson, as well stand-out coach Michael Clarke, will be among six luminaries to be honoured at the inaugural staging of the McKenley/Wint Track and Field Classic that will christen the new synthetic track at Calabar High School on January 23.Calabar High benefactors Ray Goldbourne and Dr. Don Philbert, who have both made significant contributions to the continued development of the Red Hills Road-based educational institution, will also be honoured during the meet that will feature Olympic Development races in the 400 and 800 metres and special 100-metre race for primary school athletes.Wint won Jamaica’s first ever gold medal in the 400 metres at the 1948 Olympic Games in London, England. He was also a member of Jamaica’s mile relay team that won gold in world record time at the 1952 Games in Helsinki.McKenley, the first Jamaican schoolboy to win a track scholarship, was a silver medallist in the 400m in 1948 and was a also member of Jamaica’s mile relay team that dramatically defeated the previously invincible Americans at the 1952 Games. He was also a successful track coach at Calabar High for more than a decade.Johnson, the first ever director of sports at the College of Arts, Science and Technology, was among the fastest men in the world over the 100-yard dash between the mid 1950s and early 1960s. He once equalled the world record four times within a one month span.Clarke has had tremendous success as a track coach and has led Calabar High to the last four titles at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Championships.All six gentlemen will be honoured during the opening ceremony at the meet. “We will be presenting citations for each of them and will be handing over plaques of those citations,” said Andrea Hardware, a member of the organising committee.”We wanted this meet to be a development meet because both Mr. McKenley and Dr. Wint had been significant contributors to track and field, especially at the junior level, moreso Herb because he has been our coach for like the last 100 years before he retired, he was just there with us pushing and developing our programme in general and producing some outstanding athletes for us and for Jamaica.”So it is a meet honouring these two greats that have contributed so much to us as a nation,” Hardware stated.
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday announced his government’s decision to provide old-age pension to an additional five lakh beneficiaries under its Madhu Babu Pension Yojana in the State.The new beneficiaries would avail of the benefits under the scheme from December 15.A total of 43 lakh people are getting old-age pension at present. While those aged between 60 and 80 years get ₹300, those above 80 years receive ₹500 every month. The Chief Minister also announced that 40,000 artists will get assistance of ₹1,200 per month under the Mukhya Mantri Kalakar Sahayata Yojana with effect from December 15.Mr. Patnaik directed the District Collectors to disburse the assistance to beneficiaries under both the schemes from December 15 to 20 by organising special camps.
US President Barack Obama.US President Barack Obama was likely to announce the drawdown of American troops from Afghanistan on Wednesday, senior administration officials said.However, the White House insisted that Obama has made no decision so far, but said the decision on it would be made “very soon”.”The president is still in the process of finalising his decision on the pace and scope of the drawdown that will begin in July of 2011,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.”He (Obama) is finalising his decision. He’s reviewing the options and the assessments and will have an announcement to make soon,” he said in response to a question.Diplomats from various countries in the knowhow of information being shared by the Obama Administration, said the withdrawal was likely to be equivalent to the 30,000 surge announced by Obama in December 2009. Currently there are about 100,000 US troops serving in Afghanistan.Obamas top commander for Afghanistan, General David Patraeus, is in Washington this week, giving rise to the speculation that the announcement is imminent. The Pentagon too refused to entertain questions related to the announcement.”He (Obama) has had a number of consultations with his national security team, all members from, obviously, his uniform command, his civilian leadership, rather, all the principals on the national security team. He is continuing those consultations and will have an announcement soon,” Carney said.He said there has been significant progress in disrupting or halting the momentum of the Taliban and in stabilising Afghanistan and the government to allow Afghan national security forces to build up, to train and prepare for taking over the lead.advertisement”We have made significant progress towards achieving those goals. Obviously, the most sensational and significant data point in that progress, of that progress, is the elimination of Osama bin Laden. But, there has been enormous progress in disrupting and dismantling al-Qaeda in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region beyond and below Laden,” the official said.”So he looks at this decision as a part of a process, of a policy he put in motion in December of 2009. He said at the time that he would begin the drawdown of the surge forces in July of 2011. That will happen; the pace and scope of that will depend on his assessment of how far we have come in achieving the goals that he set out,” he added.- With PTI inputsFor more news on India, click here.For more news on Business, click here.For more news on Movies, click here.For more news on Sports, click here.
Esperánce de Tunis defeated Club Deportivo Guadalajara in penalty kicks to take the Fifth Place of the FIFA Club World CupEspérance Sportif de Tunis took home the Fifth Place of the 2018 FIFA Club World Cup after beating Club Deportivo Guadalajara in penalty kicks.The match was played before 5,883 fans in the Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium in the city of Al Ain, in the border between the United Arab Emirates and Oman.Chivas Guadalajara took advantage very early in the match after Sameh Derbali fouled Angel Zaldivar in the area for a penalty kick, three minutes after kick-off.Walter Sandoval took the ball and scored the first goal of the match for Guadalajara.The game continued until Franck Kom shot in direction of the Mexican goal and Josecarlos Van Ranking deflected the ball with his hand for a new penalty kick, now against Guadalajara.Mohamed Belaili took the shot and tied things up 1-1.Report: Chaos of the African Champions League final George Patchias – August 1, 2019 Teams walking off in the game, VAR breaking down and the Court of Arbitration for Sport asked to decide the result.In a report from…The second half was an awful display of football, and after 90 minutes and two players less for Esperance, they were sent-off after various fouls, the game went into penalty kicks.Here the Tunisian club was smarter and ended up winning after eight shots from both teams.This is the first time Esperance ends up in Fifth Place, after losing to Mexican club Monterrey in 2011 and staying in Sixth.Meanwhile, Club Deportivo Guadalajara had the worst participation by a Mexican team by ending up in sixth place out of seven teams.#CWC18: @ESTuniscom took home Fifth Place and their fans couldn’t be happier. pic.twitter.com/pNBGrwshJc— Ronaldo.com (@ronaldocomint) December 18, 2018
Juan Hidalgo Jr. on his fight for the 51st. District September 25, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The two people running for the congressional seat in 51st District are incumbent Juan Vargas and Juan Hidalgo Jr.The Republican candidate Juan Hidalgo Jr. joined us in-studio with more on his campaign. KUSI Newsroom, Posted: September 25, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News, Politics Tags: Decision 2018 FacebookTwitter
NORTHWEST MIAMI-DADE, FLA. (WSVN) – Police are investigating a shooting that left a man dead in Northwest Miami-Dade.Officers responded to the Bawa Food Market along Northwest 17th Avenue and 93rd Street, just before 2:30 a.m., Wednesday.Upon their arrival, officers found a body on the parking lot. The body is now covered by a yellow tarp as police try to figure out a motive.At this point it is unknown if police have anyone in custody.Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Alex Broussard / Houston Public MediaDr. Bernard Harris Jr., the first African American to perform as space walk speak with recent college graduate Clare Luckey.Dr. Bernard Harris, Jr. was the first African American to perform a spacewalk in 1995. He says his race was the largest obstacle he faced in his journey to becoming an astronaut. “To decide that despite what I saw [with the Civil Rights movement] that I was going to be an astronaut was a big leap of faith,” Harris said. “I think the main challenge was the color of my skin, you know, looking at the space program there was nobody who looked like me.”Twenty-three years after his spacewalk, Harris speaks to a young woman about breaking molds, being a minority at NASA and going to Mars. Watch their conversation in the video below, as part of Houston Public Media’s Moonwalk series. Fifty years after Apollo 11, Moonwalk shares stories of the Apollo missions and their impact on generations of future space explorers. View the full series, here. Share
Listen Now 4 min read February 18, 2013 Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. Problem Solvers with Jason Feifer The glamour of New York Fashion Week may have moved on to London, but excitement still lingers in New York over the industry’s future. That excitement is owed in no small part to Decoded Fashion, a company dedicated to bringing emerging technologies into the fashion world.Decoded Fashion recently held a four-hour event during New York Fashion Week to show that the future of fashion lies in a marriage with technology. The February 14 event served as the finale to the 550-person fashion hackathon Decoded Fashion initiated earlier this month.The cross-pollination of fashion and tech extended to the keynote speakers last Thursday, with new Wired editor-in-chief Scott Dadich interviewing fashion phenom Zac Posen and Vogue senior market editor Meredith Melling Burke chatting with Foursquare founder Dennis Crowley. With topics ranging from new retail technology to 3D printing, attendees from both sides of the aisle were in agreement that emerging tech provides can’t-miss opportunities for fashion.One major theme was the importance of content marketing. Many in the fashion industry are still loath to engage on social media. But Posen, once gun-shy himself, said he now embraces Instagram to “fill the craving” of fans looking for insight into his creative process. “We live in a very voyeuristic culture, and if you’re able to curate that voyeurism” you can be very successful, said the designer, now a judge on Project Runway, whose gowns are red-carpet favorites for many star actresses.On a panel about customer outreach, Valentine Uhovski, Tumblr’s fashion evangelist, later touched on the same theme. “We no longer have to seek out Fashion Week coverage. It comes to us. It’s inescapable,” he said, referring to the way in which live streams of runway shows have made formerly exclusive events more accessible. This additional exposure, he implied, has been a boon for fashion brands.Related: Innovative Event Aims to Merge the Worlds of Fashion and TechnologyUhovski’s panel also included supermodel Coco Rocha, known for her dedicated use of social media. (She has nearly two million followers on Google+ and half a million followers on Twitter.) Rocha said she owes her popularity in part to tailoring her posts to appeal to the unique nature of each social network. In China, Rocha said, “models are bigger than celebrities,” so it made sense to sign up for Chinese social network Sina Weibo. With more than 2 million followers on Sina Weibo and 340,000 on Instagram, she doesn’t just post pretty photos. She said fans look for the stories behind the photos — and she curates them carefully. “I may take 15. I may filter five. I post one.”Meanwhile, Glossi — one of 10 companies showcased as “startups to watch” — also underscored the importance of placing content marketing high on the priority list. “Brands are becoming journalists. Marketers are becoming editors,” said Matt Edelman, founder of Glossi, a platform that brands can use to create, publish and share their own digital magazines.Diane von Furstenberg and DKNY are already using Glossi, as is Lucky magazine. Glossi launched in public beta two months ago. “We’re seeing an exciting, diverse community of creators on the platform, ranging from teenage girls to major brands and media companies,” said Edelman, whose company is backed by two Santa Monica, Calif.-based venture-capital firms, Clearstone and Anthem.”There is so much out there that we can change this industry with,” Rocha said, referring to 3D printing, laser etching and other technologies now available to designers. Fashion, of course, is the domain of physical products, but digital looks set to play a major role in its future.Three such promising concepts were presented during the event’s centerpiece, where the hackathon finalists pitched their apps to a panel of fashion judges.The winning concept, SWATCHit, is a platform to connect designers with skilled artisans. The judges — who included Posen, Style.com editor-in-chief Dirk Standen and Steven Kolb, the CFDA’s chief executive — chose SWATCHit over Coveted, one-click purchasing through Tumblr, and 42, an analytics suite for retail stores. The winning team walked away with $10,000 cash and a launch supported by the Council of Fashion Designers of America.Liz Bacelar, co-founder of Decoded Fashion, said she is already in talks with the British Fashion Council to bring the hackathon to London in the fall. She is confident the fashion establishment is coming around to the benefits of technology, and she tries to reassure designers that she isn’t out to wreck their craft. “It’s disruption but it’s controlled disruption,” she said. “It’s safe disruption.”Related: Social Engagement Boosts Quirky Clothing Line Hear from business owners and CEOs who went through a crippling business problem and came out the other side bigger and stronger.
Tuesday, January 8, 2019 Share Posted by VISIT FLORIDA appoints first-ever female President and CEO Tags: Promotions, VISIT FLORIDA Travelweek Group Young’s predecessor, Ken Lawson, left his role as CEO to take over the reins of the state’s Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO), as reported in December 2018. Lawson’s appointment in Jan. 2017 came after the resignation of three Visit Florida executives in the wake of the Pitbull scandal, which resulted in outgoing Governor Rick Scott calling for the resignation of Lawson’s predecessor, Will Seccombe. TALLAHASSEE, FL — For the first time ever, VISIT FLORIDA has a female President and CEO in charge following a unanimous vote of its Board of Directors.Dana Young, a sixth-generation Floridian, will assume her new role on Jan. 9 after serving as a senator for District 18 in Hillsborough County. Young also served in the Florida House from 2010 to 2016, rising to House Republican Leader.Governor-elect Ron DeSantis called Young an “exceptional leader” and commended her for “working tirelessly” to improve the quality of life for all Floridians.“Her leadership ability and experience make her an excellent candidate to lead VISIT FLORIDA in its mission to maximize the economic impact of travel and tourism to our state,” said DeSantis. “I look forward to working with Dana, who will be the first woman to lead VISIT FLORIDA, to strengthen our tourism industry and build on the economic success of our great state.”Young’s appointment comes at a time of record growth in tourism for Florida. According to Lino Maldonado, Chair of the VISIT FLORIDA Board of Directors, the state’s tourism industry has achieved seven consecutive years of record visitation and visitor spending, with the latest economic impact study showing that visitors spent US$112 billion and supported 1.4 million Florida jobs.More news: Le Boat has EBBs along with its new 2020 brochureYoung thanked DeSantis and the Board of Directors for the opportunity to lead VISIT FLORIDA, saying: “As a Floridian, with a family tradition of public service, I understand the vital importance of tourism to our state and look forward to working with industry businesses to inspire travel to Florida, stimulate the economy and create more jobs. << Previous PostNext Post >>