Saudi Arabia to end flogging as form of punishment: Document

first_imgFlogging has been applied to punish a variety of crimes in Saudi Arabia. Without a codified system of law to go with the texts making up sharia, or Islamic law, individual judges have the latitude to interpret religious texts and come up with their own sentences.Rights groups have documented past cases in which Saudi judges have sentenced criminals to flogging for a range of offences, including public intoxication and harassment.Read also: Aceh unveils new female flogging squad”This reform is a momentous step forward in Saudi Arabia’s human rights agenda, and merely one of many recent reforms in the Kingdom,” the president of the state-backed Human Rights Commission (HRC) Awwad Alawwad told Reuters.Other forms of corporal punishment, such as amputation for theft or beheading for murder and terrorism offences, have not yet been outlawed.”This is a welcome change but it should have happened years ago,” said Adam Coogle, Deputy Director of the Middle East and North Africa Division at Human Rights Watch. “There’s nothing now standing in the way of Saudi Arabia reforming its unfair judicial system.” Topics : Saudi Arabia is ending flogging as a form of punishment, according to a document from the kingdom’s top court seen by Reuters on Friday.The decision by the General Commission for the Supreme Court, taken sometime this month, will see the punishment replaced by prison sentences or fines, or a mixture of both.”The decision is an extension of the human rights reforms introduced under the direction of King Salman and the direct supervision of Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman,” the document said.last_img read more

Other Sports Asia Cup: BCCI hands over hosting rights to Emirates Cricket Board

first_imgDubai: The decks were finally cleared on Friday for the Asia Cup as BCCI officially handed over its hosting rights to the Emirates Cricket Board. “The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the Emirates Cricket Board signed an agreement today for the United Arab Emirates to host the 2018 edition of the Asia Cup,” the BCCI stated in a release.The agreement was signed in Dubai with the BCCI being represented by its acting secretary Amitabh Chaudhary and CEO Rahul Johri. The chairman of the Emirates Cricket Board, His Highness Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, signed on their behalf.Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will take part in the tournament. They will be joined by a sixth team—the winner of the Asian Cricket Council qualifier event.The tournament will be held from September 15 to 28 in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.Also Read | Asian Games 2018: Schedule, Timings, When and where to watchThe event was originally scheduled in India with BCCI playing the hosts but Pakistan’s participation was an issue considering the prevailing political situation between the neighbouring countries.The BCCI couldn’t procure relevant clearance from government security agencies to host Pakistan.Earlier this year, the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) decided that the tournament will be shifted to UAE but India will be hosting the tournament.BCCI acting secretary Choudhary said:”We are thankful to the Emirates Cricket Board for hosting the 2018 Asia Cup on behalf of the BCCI. We will see some of the sport’s powerhouse nations go head-to-head for ultimate glory and I am confident that cricket fans around the world will enjoy every moment of this prestigious event.”However, the COA faction was not on the same page with BCCI office bearers regarding handing over the hosting rights to the UAE.Since organisation would involve financial transactions in foreign currency, a senior BCCI office bearer had pointed out that FEMA (Foreign Exchanges Management Act) rules need to be thoroughly checked after the IPL II fiasco when Cricket South Africa hosted the cash-rich league in 2009.The Asian Cricket Council (ACC) sanctions USD 2.5 million to the hosts for organisational purposes but it was pointed out that operational costs shoots up in the UAE.The BCCI release does not state what will be the profit sharing mode from the ticket sales. The TV broadcast money goes to ACC.The major attraction of this tournament is two assured Indo-Pakistan clashes.Also Read | Injury-hit Kohli could be more dangerous in third Test, says BaylissFrom ECB, it’s chairman said, “It is a matter of great pride for the UAE to host a prestigious event like the Asia Cup. Our country is home to a large section of people from the participating nations and we feel privileged and excited by the opportunity to bring their favourite sport right here to their doorstep.“This is the biggest cricketing event to be held in the UAE and we will ensure every support  to make the 2018 Asia Cup a huge success.” For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Highlight Games inks new partnership with Microgame S.p.A

first_img Related Articles Highlight Games goes live with MaxBet June 26, 2020 Submit Highlight Games goes global with ComeOn deal June 19, 2020 StumbleUpon Share Highlight Games’ SOCCERBET goes live with Iforium July 29, 2020 Share London-based video virtual sports specialist Highlight Games has agreed to supply its virtual sports products to Microgame S.p.A after securing a new partnership with the Italian platform provider. The agreement will see Highlight Games offer its Soccerbet product featuring Italian and English games in league and single match formats, as well as the NBA Last 60 across Microgame’s retail, online and mobile channels.Soccerbet is currently available with Italian operators including GoldBet, Sisal, Lottomatica, Snaitech and Eurobet.Nick Gardiner, Co-CEO, Highlight Games, commented: “I’m delighted to announce this important deal with Microgame, which further strengthens Highlight Games’ position in the Italian virtual sports market. “The appetite for our exclusive games continues to grow globally, and I’m pleased to add Microgame to our expanding list of valued customers in Italy.”Marco Castaldo, CEO, Microgame S.p.A added: “I’m thrilled to be offering Highlight Games’ compelling video virtual sports content to our players. “Soccerbet has revolutionised the virtual sports market in Italy and we can’t wait to offer Soccerbet and NBA Last 60 to our customers’ online, retail and mobile players.”Earlier this year, Highlight Games secured a new agreement with Sisal Loterie Maroc to supply its Soccerbet single-match product to customers of the Moroccan National Lottery (SGLN) in over 700 retail locations across Morocco.last_img read more

Greek Shipping Firms to Pay USD 27 Mn for Ocean Pollution

first_imgzoom Greek shipping companies Oceanic Illsabe Limited and Oceanfleet Shipping Limited were sentenced to pay a fine of USD 2.7 million after being convicted of obstructing justice, violating the Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships (APPS), tampering with witnesses and conspiracy. Oceanic Illsabe Limited is the owner of the M/V Ocean Hope, a large cargo vessel that was responsible for dumping oily waste into the Pacific Ocean during 2015, while Oceanfleet Shipping Limited was the managing operator of the vessel.The vessel’s operator was sentenced to pay a USD 1.35 million fine and make a USD 450,000 community service payment to Gray’s Reef National Marine Sanctuary in recognition of the threat posed by illegal discharges of oily waste to the marine environment.Oceanic Illsabe Limited was sentenced to pay a USD 675,000 fine and make a USD 225,000 community service payment to the reef.Each company was placed on a five-year term of probation and barred from sending ships to United States ports until its financial penalty has been satisfied.The case stems from an inspection of the the cargo ship, conducted by the U.S. Coast Guard at the Port of Wilmington, North Carolina in July 2015, during which senior engineers for the companies tried to hide that the vessel had been dumping oily wastes into the ocean for months.The vessel’s two top engineers were previously convicted and sentenced to serve prison sentences in connection with these crimes.Cassius Samson, 52, the second engineer of the Ocean Hope, was sentenced a term of 12 months in prison followed by a year of supervised release, while Rustico Ignacio, 66, the chief engineer, was sentences to a term of nine months followed by a year of supervised release.last_img read more