Dubai: The decks were finally cleared on Friday for the Asia Cup as BCCI officially handed over its hosting rights to the Emirates Cricket Board. “The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the Emirates Cricket Board signed an agreement today for the United Arab Emirates to host the 2018 edition of the Asia Cup,” the BCCI stated in a release.The agreement was signed in Dubai with the BCCI being represented by its acting secretary Amitabh Chaudhary and CEO Rahul Johri. The chairman of the Emirates Cricket Board, His Highness Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, signed on their behalf.Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will take part in the tournament. They will be joined by a sixth team—the winner of the Asian Cricket Council qualifier event.The tournament will be held from September 15 to 28 in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.Also Read | Asian Games 2018: Schedule, Timings, When and where to watchThe event was originally scheduled in India with BCCI playing the hosts but Pakistan’s participation was an issue considering the prevailing political situation between the neighbouring countries.The BCCI couldn’t procure relevant clearance from government security agencies to host Pakistan.Earlier this year, the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) decided that the tournament will be shifted to UAE but India will be hosting the tournament.BCCI acting secretary Choudhary said:”We are thankful to the Emirates Cricket Board for hosting the 2018 Asia Cup on behalf of the BCCI. We will see some of the sport’s powerhouse nations go head-to-head for ultimate glory and I am confident that cricket fans around the world will enjoy every moment of this prestigious event.”However, the COA faction was not on the same page with BCCI office bearers regarding handing over the hosting rights to the UAE.Since organisation would involve financial transactions in foreign currency, a senior BCCI office bearer had pointed out that FEMA (Foreign Exchanges Management Act) rules need to be thoroughly checked after the IPL II fiasco when Cricket South Africa hosted the cash-rich league in 2009.The Asian Cricket Council (ACC) sanctions USD 2.5 million to the hosts for organisational purposes but it was pointed out that operational costs shoots up in the UAE.The BCCI release does not state what will be the profit sharing mode from the ticket sales. The TV broadcast money goes to ACC.The major attraction of this tournament is two assured Indo-Pakistan clashes.Also Read | Injury-hit Kohli could be more dangerous in third Test, says BaylissFrom ECB, it’s chairman said, “It is a matter of great pride for the UAE to host a prestigious event like the Asia Cup. Our country is home to a large section of people from the participating nations and we feel privileged and excited by the opportunity to bring their favourite sport right here to their doorstep.“This is the biggest cricketing event to be held in the UAE and we will ensure every support to make the 2018 Asia Cup a huge success.” For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
As November rolls in the pressure is on.With just three weeks remaining in the Big Ten season, the conference frontrunners –particularly No. 15 Michigan — feel the weight of the trap games ahead, as the rest of the conference feels the heat of trying to move up in the standings or gain a bowl game bid with that elusive sixth win.The situation at hand is a game between in-state rivals: Michigan versus Michigan State. “I think that pressure is something that young people in college football deal with every single week, whether you’re an undefeated football team right now playing, whether you’re looking for your sixth win or whether you’re trying to move in that direction such as Michigan is,” Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio said during Tuesday’s Big Ten Teleconference.Michigan State has the No. 3 scoring offense, third-leading rusher in Javon Ringer and top receiver in Devin Thomas. Despite all this, the Spartans are losers of two straight and sit at 1-4 in the Big Ten and 5-4 overall.“What we have to do is make sure our players stay together and we come out and continue to work throughout the week and be emotionally prepared Saturday,” Dantonio said.The problem for Michigan State has been its inability to come through in close games. As frustrating as it may be, Dantonio wants to make sure that his players don’t beat themselves.“We need to build up our young people, not tear them down, and we’ll continue to do that, and I think we’ll learn from these things,” Dantonio said. “And ultimately when we start to win these games, we’ll begin to believe that when it comes down to crunch time we’ll win it.”After missing the past two weeks and a combined five games this season due to injury, quarterback Chad Henne and running back Mike Hart are practicing again this week. Still, Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr won’t know until later in the week whether his two offensive stars will be available Saturday.In order to remain neck-and-neck in the battle with Ohio State for the Big Ten title, Michigan will likely need those two players healthy.Northwestern failed in its quest last week to secure a bowl bid, losing 35-17 against Purdue. After finishing 4-8, 2-6 Big Ten last season, the Wildcats are 5-4, 2-3 this season. Running back Tyrell Sutton returned last week for Northwestern. The Wildcats will need Sutton to play to his potential as they make a push for their first Bowl game in two years. “It was just great to get him back out there,” Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald said. “He just adds some more fuel to our fire.”Northwestern will face an Iowa team which pulled off an overtime win over Michigan State last week to also remain in the hunt for a bowl berth with a 4-5 record.For three straight weeks, Indiana has tried and failed to win a sixth game. Given that the program hasn’t appeared in a bowl game since 1993, and it dedicated the season to the late Terry Hoeppner, people may think that the Hoosiers and quarterback Kellen Lewis are playing a little anxious right now. But that’s just not the case.“Just because we’ve gotten beat in the last couple of weeks, I don’t think it changed our kids,” Indiana head coach Bill Lynch said. “I think the reality of it is we’ve played three pretty good football teams and we didn’t play well enough to win.”So unlike Michigan State or some of the other teams on the brink, Indiana isn’t getting bogged down.“I don’t think it has been a case where our kids feel pressured in anyway,” Lynch added.Indiana will go out of conference this weekend to face Ball State.Adding more conference gamesA thought has come up in the conference of removing two nonconference games out of the regular season schedule and adding two more Big Ten games. This would allow each team to face the entire conference.“I think there’s the advantage that the Big Ten Championship would be determined on the field and it would impact your home schedule, and that’s really the reason for the 12th game anyway — trying to get an additional home game to generate revenue,” Carr said.While it certainly would help the top teams separate themselves from the middle of the pack, it would also affect BCS standings as each team would face a higher chance of picking up a loss along the way, so the odds are that the notion won’t come to fruition
Former manager Mike Scioscia’s contract expired at the end of the season after a 19-year run at the helm of the organization.Related Articles Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Omar Vizquel, an 11-time Gold Glove winner who has been pursuing a career as a manager since the end of his playing days, was one of the 10 candidates the Angels interviewed for their manager opening, although he said he did not make the cut to the second round of interviews.Vizquel described the process, including the written test administered to the candidates, while speaking in Spanish to “Talkin’ Beisbol,” a podcast released on Thursday out of Vizquel’s native Venezuela.The Angels have completed their first round of interviews, and it’s possible they could have a decision before the start of the World Series on Tuesday. If not, the announcement of their new manager likely won’t come until after the World Series, in November, because Major League Baseball discourages teams from making announcements during its jewel event.Vizquel is the fifth confirmed candidate among the 10. The Angels also interviewed Brad Ausmus and Eric Chavez, who are special assistants to General Manager Billy Eppler; along with Chicago Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde and Houston Astros bench coach Joe Espada. Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter
‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too WATCH: Kawhi Leonard leads Raptors in Game 4 with 36 points Teammates realized they could become champions and now the Warriors know it all too well, even if Leonard lacks the flamboyant moves of LeBron James or injured Warriors star Kevin Durant.“You got to give him his credit. He imposed his will on the game and all the other guys followed him,” Golden State’s Draymond Green said. “I’m not sure if it will ever look like those other guys, but he gets the job done.”Curry was impressed at the way Leonard seized command.“He played amazing,” Curry said. “He hit every big shot, momentum shot that in that third quarter, it gave them the lead. And then kept the separation.”Leonard’s low-key attitude has kept the Raptors calm when excitement beckons, such as being a game from the title.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue With the game poised on a knife’s edge, Leonard opened the third quarter with back-to-back 3-pointers to give the Raptors their first lead and finished with 17 points in the quarter while helping silence Golden State stars Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.“The key was pretty much playing defense,” Leonard said. “That second half we started to make some shots and just pretty much stayed in the game.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsLeonard, who was the 2014 NBA Finals Most Valuable Player in leading San Antonio to a title, was 11-of-22 from the floor, 5-of-9 from 3-point range, and 9-of-9 from the free throw line to secure the victory.“He’s playing great and he has lifted us a lot of times with big buckets or runs,” Nurse said. “But more than anything, once we saw him early in the year… our team’s sense of who they thought they could become went up.” Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles03:16Manny Pacquiao and Keith Thurman hold final press conference ahead of bout02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss “His demeanor has taken a big part of our team,” Lowry said. “We have some guys that are fiery and feisty, but we all just stay level headed and never get too up, never get too down. Kawhi definitely brought a lot to that.”‘Two big-boy shots’Raptors guard Fred VanVleet said there was nothing the Warriors could have done to stop Leonard from taking control early in the third quarter with his 3-pointers.“There’s no defense for that. There are no schemes for that,” VanVleet said.“That’s two big-boy shots that he came out of the half with, two back-to-back threes. And that just kind of let you know how we were going to approach the third quarter and the rest of the half. It put us in good position.”When the Warriors did try to stop Leonard, it opened plays for Serge Ibaka, who came off the bench to score 20 points.“We know they would try to take Kawhi away, double him, so I just tried to play in the space.”Ibaka had 12 points in the second half to keep Golden State at bay.“He was great,” Nurse said. “Once he starts blocking a couple shots, the offense comes and the rebounding comes and even his jump shot seems to come.” OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 07: Kawhi Leonard #2 of the Toronto Raptors drives to the basket against Stephen Curry #30 and Klay Thompson #11 of the Golden State Warriors in the second half during Game Four of the 2019 NBA Finals at ORACLE Arena on June 07, 2019 in Oakland, California. Ezra Shaw/Getty Images/AFPKawhi Leonard hoisted the Toronto Raptors onto his back in the third quarter of Friday’s NBA Finals game against Golden State and lifted them within one triumph of their first championship.The 27-year-old playmaker with the cool-as-ice demeanor scored 36 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to power the Raptors over the defending champion Warriors 105-92 for a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven series.ADVERTISEMENT Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READ View comments
New York, Oct 9 (IANS) Google on Tuesday officially took the veils off Pixel 3 and a bigger Pixel 3 XL smartphone to take on the likes of flagship devices by Apple and Samsung.The premium Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL were introduced alongside a host of other hardware that will add to the tech giant’s smart home devices. Every October, the company hosts a ‘Made by Google’ event to showcase the new gadgets it has been working on through the year.The Pixel 3 will cost Rs 71,000 for the 64GB variant in India and up to Rs 80,000 for the 128GB storage variant. The Pixel 3 XL will be available at Rs 83,000 for the 64GB variant and up to Rs 92,000 for the 128GB model.The pre-orders for the devices begin on October 11 in India.Notably, the overall design of both the flagships, from the rear, look almost the same as its predecessors Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL and Google has opted for a single rear camera on both.The launch event was kicked off Rick Osterloh, Google’s Senior Vice President of hardware who announced all the artificial intelligence (AI) tools that the Pixel 3 would use with the help of Google Assistant.”They come at the intersection of AI, software and hardware working together. This approach is what makes Google’s hardware experience so unique and it unlocks all kinds of helpful benefits,” Osterloh said.The company also said that the devices have been designed from the inside out to be the smartest, “most helpful device in your life”.The Pixel 3 comes with a 5.5-inch OLED display with 2,160 x 1080 resolution while the bigger Pixel 3 XL sports a 6-inch OLED display with 2,960 x 1440 resolution. Both have an aspect ratio of 18:9.Google’s embraced the notch for the bigger Pixel 3 XL and both the smartphones now come with 8MP+8MP front-facing cameras.Both the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL feature a 12.2MP single sensor on the rear and feature exclusive in-camera Google Lens suggestions that work real-time.Both the devices are available in 64GB and 128GB onboard storage options and Google is also promising unlimited online storage for photographs and videos until January 31, 2022.Google Pixel 3 packs a 2915mAh battery while the Pixel 3 XL comes with a 3430mAh battery.The company also introduced a new convertible 2-in-1 Chromebook — the Pixel Slate and the Home Hub — its own smart display that is equipped with Google Assistant.–IANSksc/prsadvertisement