Australian snowboarder Pullin drowns while spear fishing

first_imgAustralia’s double world champion snowboarder Alex Pullin drowned while spear fishing off a Gold Coast beach on Wednesday, plunging the country’s winter sports community into mourning.Pullin, Australia’s flagbearer at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, was found by a snorkeller on an artificial reef just before 11 a.m. local time (0100 GMT) in waters off Palm Beach, state broadcaster ABC reported.Lifeguards and paramedics attempted to resuscitate the 32-year-old on the beach after pulling him from the water. Queensland Ambulance Service officer Justin Payne said he did not survive. Another diver had found Pullin on the sea floor in “very upsetting” circumstances, said Gold Coast Police District Duty Officer Chris Tritton.”He didn’t have an oxygen mask, we understand he was free diving and spearfishing out on the reef,” Tritton told Australian broadcaster Channel Nine.”It appears he was diving alone. There were other divers out there but he was not with a friend.”Brisbane-based newspaper the Courier-Mail earlier reported that Pullin was thought to have “suffered a shallow water blackout”. Pullin, nicknamed “Chumpy”, won world championship titles in snowboard cross in 2011 and 2013, competed at the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver and placed sixth in his event at the Pyeongchang Games in South Korea two years ago.”It is an incredibly sad day,” Geoff Lipshut, the chief executive of the Olympic Winter Institute of Australia, told Reuters.Lipshut said Pullin had retired from his sport last month but had yet to announce it.”Alex ‘Chumpy’ Pullin was one of our great winter sports pioneers … He attacked every day with intensity and purpose,” he said.The New South Wales Institute of Sport wrote on Twitter: “Alex ‘Chumpy’ Pullin was an extraordinary individual who pursued his passions in sport and in life. This loss is tragic to everyone he inspired and loved.” center_img Topics :last_img read more

Caz’s Pigskin Picks-Week #4

first_imgGAME TIME: 7 PM at The Tee Pee. GAME TIME: 7:00 PM at The Dog Pound.  Country 103.9 WRBI. OPPONENTS’ RECORDS: Edinburgh 3-6, South Decatur 5-4. LAST MEETING: East Central, 42-14, Sep. 7, 2012. LAST MEETING: Batesville, 45-39, 2 overtimes, sectional, Oct. 29, 2010. North Decatur (2-1) at Knightstown (2-1) LAST MEETING: Lawrenceburg, 21-20, Sep. 7, 2012. COACHES: Ryan Knigga, 18-9 in 3rd year at Lawrenceburg. Scott Moore, 30-23 in 6th year at Greensburg. OPPONENTS’ RECORDS: Rushville 2-7, Batesville 1-8. OPPONENTS’ RECORDS: East Central 3-0, Franklin County 3-6. LAST OUTING: Rushville defeated Franklin County, 32-14. Batesville defeated South Dearborn, 52-7. COACHES: Justin Roden, 0-3 in 1st year at East Central. Shane Wellman, 8-7 in 2nd year at Franklin County. SAGARIN RATINGS: East Central, 70.48, 60th overall, 11th in Class 4A. Franklin County, 51.6, 153rd overall, 34th in Class 4A. GAME TIME: 7 PM at Shriver Field. SERIES LAST 15 YEARS: Knightstown, 10-6. COACHES: Rocky Alspaugh, 61-70 in 14th year at Rushville, 81-90 in 18th year overall. Eric Heppner, 123-77 in 18th year at Batesville. GAME TIME: 7:00 PM at Wildcat Field.     WRBIRADIO.COM COACHES: Tim Leonard (interim), 2-1 in 1st year at Edinburgh. Rod Martin, 17-26 in 5th year at South Decatur. Connersville (0-3) at South Dearborn (0-3) COACHES: Garry Sauley, 71-62 in 14th year at North Decatur. Kevin Miller, 2-1 in 1st year at Knightstown. GAME TIME: 7 PM at Siebel Field. Caz’s Pick:  Rushville East Central (0-3) at Franklin County (2-1) OPPONENTS’ RECORDS: Lawrenceburg 1-5, Greensburg 2-7. LAST OUTING: Lawrenceburg defeated Milan, 39-38. Greensburg defeated Connersville, 28-20. Rushville (3-0) at Batesville (3-0) SERIES LAST 15 YEARS: Batesville, 2-0. SERIES LAST 15 YEARS: South Dearborn, 9-2. LAST OUTING: East Central lost to Cincinnati LaSalle (Ohio), 56-14. Franklin County lost to Rushville, 32-14. SAGARIN RATINGS: Batesville, 53.67, 141st overall, 30th in Class 3A. Rushville, 52.22, 151st overall, 33rd in Class 3A. GAME TIME: 7 PM at Knights Stadium. Eastern Hancock (3-0) at Milan (1-2) OPPONENTS’ RECORDS: Connersville 6-3, South Dearborn 7-2. LAST MEETING: South Decatur, 25-13, Sep. 8, 2012. Caz’s Pick:  Lawrencburg LAST MEETING: Knightstown, 67-21, Sep. 8, 2012. Lawrenceburg (2-1) at Greensburg (2-1) LAST MEETING: Connersville, 21-13, sectional, Oct. 19, 2012. Caz’s Pick:  Milan COACHES: Adam Kelly, 7-7 in 2nd year at Connersville. Chris Nobbe, 0-3 in 1st year at South Dearborn. SERIES LAST 15 YEARS: Milan, 5-2. OPPONENTS’ RECORDS: Eastern Hancock 4-5, Milan 7-2. SAGARIN RATINGS: Connersville, 46.4, 188th overall, 47th in Class 4A. South Dearborn, 29.85, 259th overall, 61st in Class 4A. SERIES LAST 15 YEARS: Greensburg, 9-6. COACHES: Pat Echeverria, 12-13 in 3rd year at Eastern Hancock. Ed Wagner, 1-2 in 1st year at Milan. Caz’s Pick:  East Central SAGARIN RATINGS: South Decatur, 29.51, 263rd overall, 35th in Class 1A. Edinburgh, 18.46, 298th overall, 50th in Class 1A. SAGARIN RATINGS: Lawrenceburg, 61.02, 106th overall, 18th in Class 3A. Greensburg, 58.37, 118th overall, 25th in Class 3A. LAST OUTING: Eastern Hancock defeated Indian Creek, 33-25. Milan lost to Lawrenceburg, 39-38. LAST OUTING: North Decatur lost to Wes-Del, 22-20. Knightstown defeated South Decatur, 28-20. OPPONENTS’ RECORDS: North Decatur 5-4, Knightstown 2-7. LAST OUTING: Connersville lost to Greensburg, 28-20. South Dearborn lost to Batesville, 52-7. Caz’s Pick:  Connersville Caz’s Pick:  Knightstown Edinburgh (2-1) at South Decatur (1-2) LAST OUTING: Edinburgh defeated Trinity Lutheran, 52-38. South Decatur lost to Knightstown, 28-20. SERIES LAST 15 YEARS: East Central, 16-2. SAGARIN RATINGS: Knightstown, 39.65, 214th overall, 34th in Class 2A. North Decatur, 35.16, 230th overall, 22nd in Class 1A. GAME TIME: 7 PM at Panther Field. LAST MEETING: Milan, 30-19, Sep. 8, 2012. SERIES LAST 15 YEARS: South Decatur, 15-3. SAGARIN RATINGS: Eastern Hancock, 55.33, 130th overall, 3rd in Class 1A. Milan, 51.34, 157th overall, 22nd in Class 2A. Caz’s Pick:  Edinburghlast_img read more

Ross Barkley needs to be in England starting line-up says Roberto Martinez

first_img Press Association England boss Roy Hodgson needs to make room for Ross Barkley in his starting XI, according to Everton manager Roberto Martinez. The 21-year-old playmaker was the stand-out performer during Euro 2016 qualifying wins against Estonia and Lithuania over the past week. But Hodgson must make a big decision if he is to fit Barkley into his team either in midfield or the number 10 role ahead of next summer’s tournament in France. Martinez said: “It’s one of those moments you keep saying that if you work hard and you set real standards, football will pay you back. “And I think Phil Jagielka is the clear example that we have in house. Any youngster who wants to look up to somebody that’s a leader and a captain, that’s Phil Jagielka, and in my eyes he’s been the most consistent and the best English centre-half in the last 12 months. “Then to have the opportunity to lead the England team. He’s the first Everton player to lead the team out for England and I think that’s a fitting reward. And the way he performed was magnificent.” Everton return to Premier League action on Saturday with a home match against Manchester United. It is their first outing since a 1-1 derby draw with Liverpool two weeks ago that spelled the end for Reds boss Brendan Rodgers. Rodgers has been swiftly replaced by former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp, and Martinez expects the popular German to be a big hit in the Premier League. “It’s for everyone to see how impressive he was during his time in Germany,” said Martinez. “Not just the way that his teams play, I think the way he brings that contagious approach of being brave and creating really difficult teams to play against. “I think his quality as a coach and a manager was one of the biggest strengths of the Bundesliga and I’m sure he’s going to be a really good fit for the Premier League.” Martinez could have John Stones, Seamus Coleman, Tom Cleverley and Steven Pienaar all back after injury for the United clash, while he expects full-back Leighton Baines to be in contention in a fortnight. Barkley’s performances for England were a continuation of his Everton form this season and Martinez feels the buzz around his displays does him something of a disservice. The Toffees manager said: “I think his best position is on the pitch. “When you’ve got that outstanding talent, you just need to fit it in a team. There’s no right answer, depending on what role you want him to do and what you want the team to do. “What is clear is he’s a sensational prospect, as we all know. He’s still a very young man. “I’m a bit surprised about the hype that has developed just because of the two performances with England. We’ve been seeing Ross hitting that level since the first day of the season. “He’s someone that has been through so much and it’s not just a sign of a potential player any more, he’s a very strong footballer with incredible quality.” It was a landmark international break for Everton, with Phil Jagielka becoming the first Toffees player to captain England. With qualification already assured, Hodgson used the opportunity to rotate his squad, and it was 33-year-old defender Jagielka who led out the team against Lithuania. last_img read more

Lagos Marathon Holds Today, 100, 000 Athletes Battle for $50,000

first_imgA total of 100, 000 athletes from 27 countries including Nigeria will be participating in the second edition of Access Bank Lagos Marathon billed to hold from 7am to 2pm on February 11, 2017.64 elite athletes from 26 countries and 102 from Nigeria, as well as 30 special athletes will also be participating in the marathon scheduled to start from National Stadium in Surulere and terminate at Eko Atlantic City in Victoria Island.Addressing a world press conference on Friday at Eko Hotels and Suites, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode said adequate preparations have been put in place to ensure a successful event, assuring that the marathon had been designed to be bigger and better than the previous edition. Governor Ambode, who addressed the briefing alongside President of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Mr Solomon Ogba; Acting President of International Association of Ultra runners, Mr Nadeem Khan; representatives of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), and representatives of the sponsors of the event, said all the agencies of government participating in the event have been adequately mobilized, saying that Lagosians should expect the best.Speaking on the idea behind investing in the marathon, Governor Ambode, who was represented by his Special Adviser on Sports and Chairman of Lagos State Sports Commission, Mr Deji Tinubu, said the event was meant to showcase the excellence of Lagos to the world as well as encourage sporting activities among the people.He said: “We want to show the world that Lagos can be and Lagos can do what it is expected of it as a mega city; we want to show to the world the tourism potentials of Lagos; we want to show to the world that Lagos is safe; we want to show to the world that Lagos can be the choice destination for sports, tourism and entertainment and that is why we are doing this.”While appreciating all the sponsors that partnered with the State Government, Governor Ambode said it was gratifying to note that many of the participating athletes have picked up their running kits, while top notch security and logistics arrangement have been put in place.  He also said that the Sole Administrators of the Local Government Areas of the routes of the marathon have also been adequately mobilized, while arrangement for entertainment and fun packs have also been perfected for those not participating in the marathon.In his remarks, AFN President, Ogba said as the biggest commercial city and very important city in Africa, the Lagos Marathon was designed to be among the top ten marathons in the world, saying that he was indeed happy with the commitment of the present administration in the State led by Governor Ambode towards the marathon.He said it was a common knowledge that over 10,000 people travel to Lagos per day with no intention of going back and with a lot of attendant pressure on public infrastructure, adding that it was good thing that the government considered the event.   Also, Head of Organizing Committee of the Marathon and Executive Director of Access Bank, Mr. Victor Otoko recalled the success of the last year edition, saying that necessary preparation has been perfected to make this year’s edition hugely successful.He said provisions have been made for a total of 29 water stations along the marathon routes with adequate security to ensure that only the marathoners get access it, while all the special athletes participating in the marathon would be given appearance fees.  Explaining how the Marathon came into being, Project Consultant, Mr Bukola Olopade said Governor Ambode deserved to be commended for his sportsmanship that made it easy for the maiden event to be possible having given approval after presentation on the event.“Let me specially thank Governor Akinwunmi Ambode for understanding the context of hosting the event just within two minutes of discussing why Lagos, considered to be the hub of business activities in Nigeria and 5th largest economy in Africa should host the marathon,” Olopade said.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Garage Sales for this weekend…

first_imgby Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — The following are the garage sales that we have for June 19, 2015. If you still need a garage sale advertised just use the comment section below. Good luck with bargain hunting!Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (14) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. 0 Vote up Vote down JODI WALTRIP · 269 weeks ago HUGE MULTI FAMILY YARD SALE- FRIDAY JUNE 19TH 9-6 AND SATURDAY JUNE 20TH FROM 8-NOON 905 NORTH JEFFERSON WELLINGTON LOTS OF MISC. ITEMS Report Reply 0 replies · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Concerned citizen · 269 weeks ago 4 wooden oak chairs for a total of $20 317 East 15th Call first 620-399-3059 Report Reply 0 replies · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Amy · 269 weeks ago Garage sale Saturday, June 20 from 8:00-?. Furniture, dishes, lawn mowers, bedding, Christmas decor, tools, etc… Much, much more! 1223 N. B. Sale will be inside the house. Make offers. Everything must go. Report Reply 1 reply · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Jim Bales · 269 weeks ago YARD SALE Saturday, June 20th 8:00-12:00 604 E Mill Street – Wellington Report Reply 0 replies · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down David Carroll · 269 weeks ago CARPORT SALE Saturday June 20th 8:00 to ? 1502 N. Blaine Lots of fishing equipment, tools, dishes and lots of misc. Report Reply 0 replies · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Terri Campbell · 269 weeks ago Friday, June 19, 4-7 pm and Saturday, June 20, 8-12. 119 West 13th. Garage/estate Sale. Home decor, tools, outdoor furniture, Christmas, dishes, antique glassware, etc…. Report Reply 0 replies · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Brian · 269 weeks ago Yard Sale 1203 E 10th Street Fri. 5:00-7:00 6/19 Sat. 8:00-11:00 6/20 Lots of misc. Some hunting and fishing stuff Report Reply 0 replies · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Dwyer/Defore · 269 weeks ago 901 S. Blaine Saturday 7 – 11 a.m. Name brand teen girl clothes size 0 – 5 (jeans, dress clothes, coats, etc.), nice golf polos, prom dress, shoes, boots, lamps, b&w printer, nintendo ds with games, digital camera, fishing poles, home decor, seasonal items, George Foreman grill with waffle iron, books, bird cage and so much more! Report Reply 0 replies · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Mike Glick · 269 weeks ago Garage sale. 610 N Washington, oak and walnut boards, planed two sides, rough edges. Walnut 1×6’s 75 to 100 inches long, Oak: 1×4’s, 1×6’s, 1×8’s, 1×10, 1×12. Garage will be open 8:00 AM. To 12:00 Sat June 20 or call 620-326-3163 to view. Report Reply 0 replies · active 269 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Melissa · 268 weeks ago Multi family garage sale 114 north Plum. Lots of misc. hide a bed couch, large desk with hutch, clothes all sizes, and some baby stuff. Report Reply 0 replies · active 268 weeks ago 12Next » Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more