May 17, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Another man has contracted H5N1 avian influenza in northern Vietnam, only 4 days after the previous case dashed hopes of a respite from the outbreak.A 58-year-old man from Thanh Hoa was hospitalized at the Institute of Tropical Diseases in Hanoi on May 13, Reuters news service said today. Subsequent tests have confirmed he has the H5N1 virus.Nguyen Dang Ngoan, director of the Thanh Hoa provincial Preventive Medicine Center, told the Associated Press (AP) that dead chickens had been reported in the man’s yard a month ago and that the family slaughtered chickens for meals. He developed a high fever, coughing, and breathing difficulties Apr 20 and tested positive May 15, the AP reported today.A 52-year-old man from Vinh Phuc province, identified last week as Cao The Hai (previously listed as 55 years old), was admitted to the same hospital on May 12, Reuters reported. His case was the first reported in about 3 weeks. Both men were in stable condition, a doctor at the hospital told the media.”We are now treating two H5N1 patients and they are in good condition,” a doctor told Agence France-Presse (AFP), for a story published today.Authorities in the two provinces have quarantined the patients’ homes and are monitoring family members for illness, AFP reported.Unofficially, the two latest cases bring the number of Vietnamese diagnosed with H5N1 since late December 2004 to 43. Sixteen of those people died.Initial tests on a 20-year-old Cambodian woman from Kampot Province suspected of having H5N1 were negative, said Phan Van Tu, chief virologist at the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City, as reported in today’s AP story.
“While awaiting a clarification of the new framework and when circumstances require it, the technique known as a chokehold will continue to be used with restraint and discernment,” national police chief Frederic Veaux said in a letter to staff on Monday, seen by AFP.In particular, the technique can be used when a person resists arrest or threatens an officer or other people.Veaux said a commission would be set up on Wednesday to begin working on possible “substitution techniques”, with recommendations due by September 1.Police unions, which have staged angry protests across France that saw officers throw down their handcuffs while rejecting claims of systemic racism or violence, welcomed the reversal. “It’s a step in the right direction, but it won’t be enough to dissipate the anger among the police,” said Patrice Ribeiro, head of the Synergie-Officiers union.”It’s a note that comes late but is welcome,” agreed Yves Lefebvre of the Unite-SGP-FO union.Police forces in several countries are debating the continued use of chokeholds, as protesters call for reforms in the wake of Floyd’s death, the latest in a series of black Americans killed in police custody.This month, the state of New York adopted a chokehold ban among several laws aimed at ending excessive force by officers.In France, the protests have coalesced around the case of Adama Traore, a 24-year-old black man who died at a police station shortly after his arrest in 2016.Traore’s family claim he was suffocated as officers held him down, an accusation that medical assessments ordered by French investigators have rejected. Prosecutors said this month that the inquiry was still going on. The French government has suspended a ban on chokeholds by the police, a technique that has been widely denounced by Black Lives Matter activists at rallies against racism.The ban was announced last week after demonstrations spurred by the death of George Floyd in the US, a black man who pleaded “I can’t breathe” as an officer kneeled on his neck.But the move sparked furious protests from police unions, who said the long-used technique was essential for ensuring officers’ safety, and accused the government of failing to appreciate the perils of their work. Topics :
“I’ve always said I would love to end my career in England and that plan is still on track.”Aiyegbeni has scored 96 Premier League goals – more than any other Nigerian and just five less than the top-ranked African scorer Didier Drogba.His career in England began 14 years ago and has played in the top flight for Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Everton and Blackburn.He has now dropped down to League One, where Coventry is rooted to the foot of the table, but is determined to show he can still make an impact.“My career in England started in 2003 and I have been very lucky to play for some top managers and teams,” Aiyegbeni added.“Things are quite tough for Coventry City at the moment and I understand what is expected of me.“I had the opportunity to train with the players here, I see great qualities and believe things can get better.“I love scoring goals and helping my team-mates to score, together we can lift the club.“I know this league very well because I have played in it with Leicester City and Reading in the past.”Coventry City Manager, Russell Slade, further shed light on the signing of Aiyegbeni and believes that the club have landed a player with “a terrific goal record.”The former Premier League star will stay at the club “on a deal running until May 2017, pending international clearance.”“We’re pleased to have secured the signing of Yakubu, who brings vast experience and a terrific goal record.“His professional career speaks for itself, having scored consistently at the highest level of English football, and he will act as a superb role model for the younger players.“He is astute on the ball, has clear quality and presence and we’ll continue to work on his match fitness as we prepare for the final 16 games of this season,” Slade told the club’s website.The striker will wear number 22 at Coventry City.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Former Super Eagles forward, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, has revealed he wants to end his career in England after signing for Coventry on Monday.The 34-year-old has a decade of experience in England but in the last five years he has played abroad apart from a brief spell at Reading.He told BBC Sport: “I left to play in China, Qatar and Turkey, but my family and heart was always in England.