Sandy Aid Passes Congress, Long Island Pols Cheer

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone and Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano, left, who went to Washington D.C. Tuesday to lobby for Sandy aid, meet with House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, Reps. Peter King and Steve Israel.Seventy eight days after Sandy, the remaining $51 billion of the $60-billion northeast aid package finally passed the U.S. House of Representatives, sparking praise from Long Island lawmakers who two weeks ago were at war with the Republican majority that initially snubbed superstorm survivors.“Tonight’s vote to provide $60 billion in Hurricane Sandy relief was an outstanding victory,” said Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford), who famously blasted House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) for the delays. “It is unfortunate that we had to fight so hard to be treated the same as every other state has been treated. But we did fight this bias against the northeast and thank god our residents won.”Rep.  Steve Israel (D-Huntington) said, “New Yorkers can finally rest assured that help is on its way. I’m delighted that the House finally passed the Sandy relief bill, but the real heroes are the New Yorkers rebuilding their lives, homes, and businesses.”New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Conn. Gov. Dannel Malloy released a joint statement saying, “We are grateful to those members of Congress who today pulled together in a unified, bipartisan coalition to assist millions of their fellow Americans … at their greatest time of need.”U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) said he expects the bill to easily pass the Senate and be sent to the President’s desk for signing.last_img read more

Xavi donates €1m to coronavirus fight

first_imgRelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians Barcelona legend Xavi Hernandez has donated €1 million to a hospital in the city to help its overburdened health care system deal with the coronavirus pandemic. The former Spain international, who is the head coach of Al-Sadd in Qatar, has given the money to Hospital Clinic after the medical centre appealed for more resources to aid its response to the crisis. Xavi, 40, made the donation with his partner, journalist Nuria Cunillera, and said in a social media video that the cash would go towards “purchasing sanitary equipment for professionals and patients.” Lionel Messi has already supported Hospital Clinic’s call for action as part of a €1 million donation spread across Barcelona and his native Argentina last month. The Alcantara brothers, Thiago and Rafinha, have also contributed. Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola has also provided support to help Catalonia’s battle against coronavirus. He gave €1 million to the Barcelona Medical College and the Angel Soler Daniel foundation last month. Meanwhile, La Liga’s online music festival raised more than €1 million to be used to buy medical equipment in the country earlier this week. Spain has been hit harder than most by the global coronavirus outbreak. The latest figures on Saturday said that 11,744 people have died from the virus in the country – second only to Italy – and that 124,736 people have tested positive. Barcelona vice president Jordi Cardoner is among those to have tested positive in the past few days. He is self-isolating at home and is not in need of hospital treatment. The financial impacts of the coronavirus have also been felt in Spain, and Barca continue to look at ways to minimise the economic effects of the pandemic. After announcing an agreement for the playing staff to take on a 70 per cent wage cut, the club are now scouring the market for players that are out of contract in the summer due to fears their transfer budget will be slashed.Tags: CoronavirusCOVID-19DonationsSpainXavi Hernandezlast_img read more