Latest avian flu cases may include one in Cambodia

first_imgJan 31, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Two Vietnamese girls died of avian influenza over the weekend, and the disease may have claimed its first human victim in Cambodia, according to news services.A 13-year-old girl and a 10-year-old girl became the 11th and 12th people to die of H5N1 avian flu in Vietnam since late December, according to reports. Their illnesses were first reported in the news media Jan 28.The 13-year-old girl, who lived in Dong Thap province in southern Vietnam, died early on Jan 29, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report. Her 35-year-old mother had died of avian flu Jan 21.AFP quoted state media reports as saying the girl and her mother had slaughtered an infected duck for a meal. Previous reports said the girl had fallen ill Jan 13 and been hospitalized Jan 20. The Associated Press (AP) said experts were still trying to determine if the two cases involved person-to-person transmission.The 10-year-old girl, who lived in the southern province of Long An, died yesterday, according to a Reuters report. China’s official news agency, Xinhua, quoted a physician at a hospital in Ho Chi Minh City as saying the girl had had contact with dead chickens.With the latest deaths, the apparent total of deaths caused by avian flu has increased to 44, including 32 in Vietnam and 12 in Thailand. The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Jan 28 it had received reports of the two girls’ cases, but it has not yet listed the cases as confirmed.The total number of human cases since late 2003 appears to be at least 57. That includes 27 cases reported in Vietnam before December 2004 and another 13 cases since then, for a total of 40. The 13 recent cases include a 42-year-old man from northern Vietnam who recovered and, according to Reuters, was released from a hospital Jan 28. Thailand has had 17 cases, including 12 fatal ones, but has not had a case since October 2004.(The latest WHO case count, updated Jan 26, listed a total of 54 human cases, including 41 deaths.)A 25-year-old Cambodian woman died yesterday in a southern Vietnam hospital with lung damage suspected to have been caused by avian flu, according to Reuters and AP reports.The woman’s family said she became ill after dead poultry were found in her village, the AP report said. Reuters quoted a physician named Nguyen Van Hung as saying that the case was worrisome because the woman’s brother had died of respiratory failure before he could be brought to a hospital.If the woman’s case is confirmed, she will be the first Cambodian known to have had H5N1 avian flu. Cambodia’s last H5N1 outbreak in poultry was in September 2004, according to records of the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE).All serious cases of H5N1 avian flu since the disease re-emerged in late 2003 have been in Vietnam and Thailand, though evidence of a few mild or asymptomatic cases has been reported in Japan. The first known human cases of H5N1 occurred in Hong Kong in 1997, when 18 people fell ill and 6 of them died.Avian flu was also suspected to have killed a 39-year-old man who died yesterday in the central Vietnam city of Da Nang, according to a Reuters story citing a report in a Ho Chi Minh City newspaper. Test results were awaited, the story said.In addition, a Xinhua story said that seven people from northern Vietnam were admitted to the Topical Disease Institute in Hanoi on Jan 29 and 30 with avian flu symptoms. But the report didn’t identify the source of that information.In other developments, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week cautioned travelers to Vietnam to take steps to avoid avian flu. The “travel health precaution” warns travelers to avoid areas where live poultry are kept and to make sure foods containing poultry or eggs are thoroughly cooked, among other steps. A separate notice for travelers visiting family and friends in Vietnam listed more detailed measures.last_img read more

Scientific Games puts forward $350 million note issue for NYX acquisition

first_img Updating the market, the governance of Nasdaq-listed gambling technology supplier Scientific Games Corporation (SGC) has announced that it will sanction a private offering of $350 million senior secured notes due for reimbursement in 2025.  SGC governance will use the net proceeds of its note offering, to fund its cash and debt $631 million outright acquisition of NYX Gaming Group assets, announced on 20 September.The technology supplier informs that should its pending acquisition of Toronto TSX-listed NYX be suspended, SGC will use the funds for general corporate purposes, which may include the prepayment of corporate loan borrowings under the previous terms of its existing credit facilities.This September, SGC announced that it had entered a ‘definitive agreement’ to acquire all related NYX assets, with a view to accelerate its digital gambling dynamics and further gain a strong foothold in the global sports betting market gaining NYX’s OpenBet division as a new vertical.Expanding its omni-channel capabilities, SGC will seek to create a new ‘digital gambling division’ led by current NYX CEO Matt Davey, who will join SGC as President of Digital Gaming should the acquisition be approved.Taking over NYX assets, SGC will gain one of the biggest industry digital services portfolio, as NYX services a number of tier1 industry operators for platform and games content provisions including William Hill, Betsson, bet365 and Caesars Interactive. Scientific Games records $198m loss as COVID swamps casino and lottery performance July 24, 2020 StumbleUpon Share Related Articles Kambi and DraftKings agree on final closure terms July 24, 2020 Esports Entertainment bolsters tournament capacity by acquiring EGL August 27, 2020 Submit Sharelast_img read more

Athens International Airport profits €14005m in 2017

first_imgAthens International Airport (ΑΙΑ) Eleftherios Venizelos has reportedly reached a net profit of 140.05 million euros in 2017, over eight million euros more than 2016’s 132.4 million.Moreover, operational revenues reached 433.5 million euros, up by 6.61 per cent compared to 2016, attributed mainly to the increase in passenger traffic and improved commercial sales.A dividend to shareholders will not be issued, however, citing an extension of the current concession contract with the Greek state binding AIA over €1.35bn, Naftemporiki reports.Greece’s busiest airport still needs to make up for the €79.9m fee the Greek state imposed on 2016 for “airport improvement and development”.Meanwhile, profits from duty-free shopping across Greece are also seeing an increase. Most purchases linked with a return of VAT for consumers visiting from non-EU countries – continued to post an annual growth rate of roughly 20 per cent, in terms of value of transactions, and up to 30 per cent  over the Jan-July 2018 period.Surprisingly, even though profits from the tax-free shopping sector in Greece are increasing year-round, the same does not happen to the average daily spending per tourist which has dropped a whopping 25 per cent, compared to 2016. On average, a tourist woulds spend €50 in 2017, €70 down from the previous year.Based on a report released by Global Blue Hellas, Chinese and US nationals comprise nearly half of the total number of tax free shopping sales in the country. Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagramlast_img read more

300 National Guard members sent to protect MexicoBelize border

first_imgThe arrival of the 300 guards is meant for direct support for the National Institute of Migration to stop the flow of more Central Americans from illegally entering Mexico. The members of the National Guard were sent to the border as per an agreement made with the US to help curb the flow of migrants who cross through Mexico to reach the United States. Chetumal, Q.R. — Hundreds of members of the National Guard have arrived in the southern portion of the state of Quintana Roo in a bid to secure the Mexico-Belize border from illegal immigrants. In addition to personnel, surveillance has also been reinforced at border points such as the town of La Unión and the Chactemal and Subteniente López bridges.center_img The move comes the same week as the announcement by the government of Mexico that all passengers using the ADO bus service will be required to produce identification before boarding. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)last_img read more