Vietnamese find another case of avian flu

first_imgMay 17, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Another man has contracted H5N1 avian influenza in northern Vietnam, only 4 days after the previous case dashed hopes of a respite from the outbreak.A 58-year-old man from Thanh Hoa was hospitalized at the Institute of Tropical Diseases in Hanoi on May 13, Reuters news service said today. Subsequent tests have confirmed he has the H5N1 virus.Nguyen Dang Ngoan, director of the Thanh Hoa provincial Preventive Medicine Center, told the Associated Press (AP) that dead chickens had been reported in the man’s yard a month ago and that the family slaughtered chickens for meals. He developed a high fever, coughing, and breathing difficulties Apr 20 and tested positive May 15, the AP reported today.A 52-year-old man from Vinh Phuc province, identified last week as Cao The Hai (previously listed as 55 years old), was admitted to the same hospital on May 12, Reuters reported. His case was the first reported in about 3 weeks. Both men were in stable condition, a doctor at the hospital told the media.”We are now treating two H5N1 patients and they are in good condition,” a doctor told Agence France-Presse (AFP), for a story published today.Authorities in the two provinces have quarantined the patients’ homes and are monitoring family members for illness, AFP reported.Unofficially, the two latest cases bring the number of Vietnamese diagnosed with H5N1 since late December 2004 to 43. Sixteen of those people died.Initial tests on a 20-year-old Cambodian woman from Kampot Province suspected of having H5N1 were negative, said Phan Van Tu, chief virologist at the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City, as reported in today’s AP story.last_img read more

When the ship comes in

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Asamoah Gyan, Kwadwo Asamoah named in African Team of the Decade

first_imgGhanaian footballers, Asamoah Gyan and Kwadwo Asamoah have been named in the Supersports African Team of the Decade.The list includes legendary Egyptian goalkeeper, El Hadary, Ivorian midfielder, Yaya Toure and Nigerian winger, Musa Ahmed.The list has however been criticized by fans on social media as some iconic players missed the list.Drogba won the league and Fa in 2010, won the UCL and Fa cup in 2012, won the league and league cup in 2015. Maybe decade has another meaning— Callum_Cheek77 (@hadheyhemor) December 27, 2019 Drogba for Gyan, Mo Salah for Musa and Kolo Toure for Aurier….then shift Mane to occupy Musa’s position— Samuel Wamujwa (@SWamujwa) December 27, 2019The likes of Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto’o, Michael Essien, Mohammed Salah, Riyad Mahrez, Kolo Toure were all excluded from the XI list put together by SuperSports.Here is the list of players that were put together:4-3-3Essam El Hadary – Egypt.Serge Aurier – Ivory Coast.Kalidou Koulibaly – Senegal.Medhi Benatia – Morocco.Kwadwo Asamoah – Ghana.Yaya Toure – Ivory Coast.John Obi Mikel – Nigeria.Ahmed Musa – Nigeria.Sadio Mane – Senegal.Asamoah Gyan – Ghana.Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – Gabon.Background:SuperSport is a South Africa-based Pan-Africa group of television channels carried on the DStv satellite platform. It provides sports content in South Africa and many other African countries.It is noted for the broadcasting of European competitions like the English Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Italian Serie A among other major tournaments.last_img read more

BOXING: Briton too good for Uganda’s Katende

first_imgBuatsi showed no nerves as he took the bout to his more experienced opponent, 31, and was in complete control from the first bell.The Ugandan did open up a few times, but when he did Buatsi blocked him, and as Katende tired Buatsi went in for the kill.Buatsi said he had been tempted by the Ghana offer because he was desperate to get to the Olympics.“I wanted to get there so badly, but I needed these four years to develop. Four years ago I was not the fighter I am today.”Reflecting on the life-changing move as a child from his birthplace Ghana to London aged just nine, he said: “My parents were living in Britain so I went there to join them. I feel like I have been living there my whole life and everything I have learnt has been from London.“The trade and talent I’ve got I learned in England and this is where it has brought me so it has been a really good thing.”Buatsi’s demolition job made it a perfect start of four wins in four for British boxing in Rio.“It is good to keep the ball rolling,” said Buatsi.The Ugandan also has his own intriguing story, having fought for Sweden at the last Olympics, before returning to his motherland.After the fight, he posted a message to his fans on facebook.“A big thank you to everyone for all the support I have got during and before the Olympics. Its been a tough road and we made it here, too bad the trip ends here, but we never give up. Now everything lies in Gods hands to see what happens when I came home. Thanks again.”UGANDA’S SCHEDULE PAGE 2 (click here to read key facts about Team Uganda)Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2 Great Britain’s Joshua Buatsi (L) fights Uganda’s Kennedy Katende during the Men’s Light Heavy (81kg) boxing match at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Riocentro – Pavilion 6 in Rio de Janeiro . AFP PHOTORio de Janeiro, Brazil | AFP and Agencies | A light heavyweight prospect who chose Britain over Ghana to pursue his Olympic dreams clocked the first knock-out of the Rio Games boxing after pulverising his outclassed opponent on Sunday.Joshua Buatsi, 23, who was born in the Ghanaian capital Accra, simply had too much quality for Kennedy Katende of Uganda, sending a powerful warning of intent to the rest of the weight class.Buatsi capped an imperious performance when the referee stopped the fight in the third and final round to save the stumbling Katende from more punishment and Buatsi won by technical knock-out.It left his opponent slumped in his corner on a stall after the one-sided bout, rubbing the back of his head, and he was later seen with an ice bag on the injury and a doctor in attendance.The level-headed Buatsi is not the most prominent member of a Team GB boxing squad rippling with talent, but his first tilt at Olympic gold got off to the perfect start.“I noticed he was hurt from a right hand but the referee didn’t step in so I just kept applying the pressure and when I landed another right hand I knew he was hurt,” said Buatsi.“I didn’t want to hurt him like that. I am in there to win, not to hurt people, so I am glad the referee stopped it,” added Buatsi.“I had the chance to represent Ghana at 2012 (Games in London) but I chose not to and to represent Britain.“My trainers are British and they taught me my trade and they said, ‘Josh, hang on, a better opportunity will come.’“Now I can stand here and testify that it was good for me to listen to them because this is where it has brought me.”Katende: A big thank you to everyone for all the support I have got during and before the Olympics. Its been a tough road and we made it here, too bad the trip ends here, but we never give up.Keep the ball rollinglast_img read more