This fall at least two of the more successful football programs in the area will have new coaches. Milan has just named Ed Wagner as their new coach. Ed is coming from Bedford North Lawrence where he has been a teacher and coach for the past 7 years. East Central, earlier this year, named current assistant Justin Roden their new coach replacing Tim Behlmer who retired. It is much more difficult to go out and find outside coaches this days. Most schools have a modified freeze on hiring which greatly restricts who you can look at as a future coach. This freeze is usually one that says only no experience or limited-experienced people can apply. Even though the administration might like to wave this for a high profile coach, the rest of the faculty would not stand for it–nor should they. Most schools will not hire head coaches in football unless they are also regular teachers in the school. I would suspect that you will see little difference in either of these two programs next fall, because their systems are well entrenched; and whoever is at the helm will do quite well. After all, Coach Roden and Coach Wagner are quite experienced and not a rookies in any sense of the term. The kids are still in place as are most of the assistant coaches. We will know in a few short weeks how this comes out. Good luck to both schools.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers Police in Mobile, Alabama have issued an arrest warrant for Lakers center DeMarcus Cousins on a misdemeanor domestic violence charge, USA Today reports.The mother of Cousins’ son recorded a phone conversation in which a man is heard telling her he will “put a bullet in your (expletive) head.” She told police the person on the other line was Cousins.She filed a police report on the call and sent a copy of the recording to TMZ Sports.USA Today reports that Mobile’s court website lists a third-degree harassing communications charge against Cousins. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersThe argument stemmed from Cousins’ desire to have his son travel to attend his wedding, which was last weekend.The alleged victim confirmed to USA Today that she knew of the warrant. This news organization has chosen not to identify her in this story.The NBA and Lakers on Tuesday said in statements that they were “investigating the allegations.”Related Articles With the Warriors last season, Cousins played 30 games after returning from an Achilles tear suffered with the Pelicans. He averaged 16.3 points and 8.2 rebounds in 25.7 minutes per game for the Warriors.Prior to his trade to New Orleans, Cousins was the Sacramento Kings’ franchise player. He was named a Western Conference All-Star every season from 2014-15 to 2017-18.The Lakers open training camp with media day on Sept. 27. How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs According to the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, the league can fine, suspend, or dismiss and ban players who violate the league’s domestic violence, sexual assault or child abuse policies. The harshest punishments are reserved for repeat offenders. Cousins has had no such violations.Cousins tore his ACL earlier in the offseason after signing a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Lakers. Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed
The basketball players of Široki Brijeg won first place in ‘League 4’, after they beat Igokee last night with 73:64 (18:16, 18:19, 17:14, 20:15).Široki Brijeg, which in this part of the competition remained the only undefeated team, were led to victory by Robert Rikić with 26 points and six rebounds, and Dalibor Peršić had 10 points.In the team from Laktaši, which will start in the semifinals from second place, Nemanja Gordić was most efficient with 10 points.The opponents of Široki Brijeg and Igokee in the semi-finals will be known tonight after the meeting in Mrkonjić Grad between the teams Mladosti and Spars from Sarajevo.(Source: Fena)
By Jay Cook |Efforts to compromise on what New Jersey representatives believe are draconian recreational fishing regulations were sunk last week, meaning the summer flounder season could potentially be shut down in coming months.A vote by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) on May 22 denied the state’s proposal for changes to three tiers of regulations. They also found New Jersey to be noncompliant.For greater New Jersey waters, the state had proposed an 18-inch minimum, three-fish limit and a 104-day season for the summer flounder season, a 24 percent cut from 2016. That differs from the ASMFC’s Addendum XXVIII decision in February of a 19-inch minimum, three-fish limit and a 128-day season, which made for a 33 percent reduction.“We’re disappointed by the actions of ASMFC’s Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Committee,” said Bob Martin, commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), in a statement on May 22. “New Jersey firmly believes that we have passed regulations that meet the conservation equivalency of the Commission’s proposed quota limits.”Despite New Jersey not falling in line with the regional regulations, the summer flounder season still opened on May 25 and will end on Sept. 5.On May 18, Martin approved the 18-inch minimum, three-fish limit and 104-day season for New Jersey. In the Delaware Bay and its tributaries, there is a 17-inch minimum, three-fish limit and 104-day season. For shore fishing on Island Beach State Park, there is a 16-inch minimum, two-fish limit and 104-day season as well.“There was no support by other board members for the New Jersey proposal,” said Tina Berger, spokeswoman for the ASMFC.In February, the ASMFC voted to approve Option 5 of Addendum XXVIII, which was in response to findings that the summer flounder stocks were close to being unsustainably low.“Because (summer flounder) was in an overfishing status, the states and the federal government had to take action to end overfishing immediately,” Berger said.Berger also added that the ASMFC board unanimously found New Jersey to be non-compliant. If the state doesn’t administer the board-approved regulations – 19-inch minimum, three-fish limit and 128-day season – a letter will be sent to the Secretaries of Commerce and the Interior.Fishing boats in Atlantic Highlands Harbor. If New Jersey doesn’t fall back in line with regionalfishing regulations, some fear the summer flounder season may be shut down.A conference call set for June 1 at 9:30 a.m. for the ASMFC’s Interstate Fisheries Management Policy will consider a recommendation to find New Jersey non-compliant.If that department and the federal offices also find New Jersey to be non-compliant, Berger said, after a 30-day window “a moratorium for fishing of that fish species in that state’s waters” could be implemented.New Jersey’s main concern with the ASMFC guidelines were that the number of summer flounder throwbacks would increase due to the 19-inch limit. The state believes that practice is ultimately connected to more fish deaths.“There’s simply no way we can believe that is responsible management,” said Adam Nowalsky, a former charter boat captain, and one of three New Jersey commissioners on the ASMCF.Through its proposed plan, the state believes that lowering the size limit by one inch and shortening the season by 24 days would lessen the burden on recreational anglers and keep the summer flounder stocks healthy.Also tied into its proposal was a major education outreach program aimed at informing recreational salt water anglers – those who fish from head boats, charter boats, in the ocean surf and also shop at bait and tackle shops.Through the FishSmart program lead by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and guidelines from TakeMeFishing.org, the state laid out a plan to distribute brochures and videos to anglers across the state.It also called for the creation of 30-second radio spot PSA’s, New Jersey-based videos showing proper catch-and-release techniques, and blasting out information via social media.Martin said he looks forward to working with NOAA in efforts to create a more responsible fishing culture. In turn, he said, that would “help protect the stock without devastating a multi-billion-dollar industry here in New Jersey.”Though for those who are unsure about the 2017 summer flounder season, Nowalsky said recreational anglers have to become more educated about the situation.In the meantime, he said, “I encourage people to go out and have a good time and enjoy what they can for as long as they can.”This article was first published in the June 1-June 8, 2017 print edition of The Two River Times.