“With the reintroduction of the Pension Schemes Bill as one of its first acts following the election, we are pleased the government is prioritising the £2trn pension sector,” said Nigel Peaple, director of policy at the association.Charles Counsell, chief executive officer at The Pensions Regulator (TPR), said it welcomed “the prompt re-introduction” of the bill.Tyron Potts, associate and head of pensions research at Barnett Waddingham, said the reintroduction of the pension schemes bill meant the regulator would soon be in a position to launch its first consultation on a brand new code of practice for defined benefit (DB) pensions funding.“In turn, this will provide helpful guidance around the legal obligation for DB schemes to align investment and funding approaches to a long-term objective – an obligation which TPR has in any case been encouraging schemes to look at now rather than waiting until [the legislation receives] Royal Assent.”The PLSA’s Peaple highlighted that the bill did not provide a schedule for the planned removal of the lower earnings limit to automatic enrolment contributions, “meaning millions missing out on extra saving with employer support and tax relief”.According to Peaple there is also room for improvement with regard to new criminal sanctions and civil fines intended to prevent scheme sponsors from deliberately evading their responsibilities.“[C]urrent drafting is too loose and risks applying far more widely than intended,” he said. The UK’s new government has brought back the workplace pensions bill that its predecessor introduced in October shortly before last month’s general election was called.The pension schemes bill was introduced in the House of Lords yesterday although the date for a first substantive debate on all aspects of the bill has not yet been scheduled.No major differences with the bill’s predecessor have been highlighted by experts so far. Like the bill tabled in October, the new draft legislation includes provisions to enable the pension dashboard and collective defined contribution (CDC) schemes and strengthen the regulator’s powers, but does not introduce a framework for consolidation of defined benefit schemes into so-called superfunds.The country’s main pension fund lobby group, the Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (PLSA), today welcomed the speed with which the government has brought back the bill.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm Contact Chris: email@example.com | @chris_iseman Naesean Howard, a running back from West Genesee High School in Camillus, committed to Syracuse on Saturday, Scout.com reported.Howard is the first member in the Class of 2014 to commit to the Orange.The 5-foot-11, 185-lb. Howard is rated a three-star prospect by Scout.com. His only other offer so far was from Buffalo, according to Scout.comHoward rushed for 1,486 yards on 172 carries this past season for West Genesee. He scored 23 touchdowns.He’s also played on the other side of the ball at safety.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Comments
Share UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Submit Winning Post: Swedish regulator pushes back on ‘Storebror’ approach to deposit limits August 24, 2020 Related Articles StumbleUpon GambleAware: Engage those with lived experience of gambling harms August 28, 2020 Share UK problem gambling support and treatment charity GamCare has reminded its betting industry and national health stakeholders that from 1 October 2019, the ‘National Gambling Helpline’ will be run as a 24-hour service.The National Gambling Helpline (0808 8020 133) updates its operating schedule of 8am-to-midnight, transforming into a ‘UK Helplines’ accredited 24-hour support structure open every day of the year.GamCare is able to extend its support functions thanks to funding provided by GambleAware, allowing the charity to operate its helpline as a ‘two-year pilot scheme’ with the aim of offering instant round-the-clock support for anyone impacted by problem gambling across the UK.The UK charity reminds stakeholders that its team of advisers are trained to further help the family and friends of problem gambling victims, providing advice and on treatment and support options available across local communities, online or over the phone.Anna Hemmings, CEO at GamCare, said: “It is important that treatment and support services reflect the availability of gambling. As such, we are delighted to be able to extend the hours of operation of the National Gambling Helpline to further support those affected by gambling related harm.“With the 24-hour nature of gambling, people sometimes feel at their most isolated overnight, when other support services are closed. They will now be able to reach our highly trained advisers 24 hours a day, who can offer immediate support, advice and referral to our network of treatment services nationally.”Helen Garratt, Director of Clinical Services, added: “GamCare provides a wide range of services to people in need, and we are very pleased that the helpline hours can now extend this support throughout the night. People can be trying hard to change their gambling, but the sheer availability of gambling options makes it a struggle. We hope that the new availability of the National Gambling Helpline will be able to match this round-the-clock activity and offer even more support.”Marc Etches, CEO of GambleAware, commented: “GambleAware is responsible for commissioning the National Gambling Helpline, which is a core element of an emerging National Gambling Treatment Service. Our priority is to keep people safe and to ensure support services are easily accessible. As such, we are pleased to be funding an extension to the helpline’s operating hours, and we will evaluate its performance over time.”Tim Miller, Executive Director at the Gambling Commission, said: “The pilot to extend the hours of the National Gambling Helpline is a very welcome step. GamCare’s specialist advisers are now there if people need support at any hour of the day. This change arose out of the input of people with lived experience into research and demonstrates why that continued input is vital.”
MORE: NBA Twitter reacts to Anthony Davis tradeWhile the move pushes Los Angeles and New Orleans in different directions, it accomplishes the intended goals for both sides. It could be a rare win-win trade, but the final grades won’t be known until years down the road. The draft compensation in this deal could stretch all the way out to 2025.Here are the reported details of the trade and a breakdown of the short- and long-term ramifications for each side.Anthony Davis trade gradesLakers receive: Anthony DavisPelicans receive: Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, three first-round picks2019 No. 4 pick2021 first-round pick protected for Nos. 9-30 (unprotected in 2022)2023 first-round swap rights unprotected2024 first-round pick unprotected (option to defer to 2025)NBA DRAFT BIG BOARD: Ranking the top 60 prospectsLakers: A-The Lakers’ front office followed the flawless plan of running the franchise directly into the ground for a season and acquiring a superstar anyway. Must be nice. Jokes aside, team owner Jeanie Buss and general manager Rob Pelinka knew they needed to bring AD to LA, and they got the job done.Davis averaged 25.9 points, 12.0 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 2.4 blocks and 1.6 steals in a lost season for New Orleans. Imagine what a properly motivated Davis will look like next to LeBron James. He is an ideal fit inside as a rim-runner and finisher offensively, and he can cover up for a lot of defensive shortcomings with his length and rim protection.The scary part? James could unlock more of Davis as an outside threat. Davis isn’t known as a long-range shooter (31.4 percent on 3-pointers for his career), but he did shoot 37.7 percent on 122 catch-and-shoot 3-pointers in 2018-19. If Davis manages to shoot 35-37 percent on deep attempts, that opens the floor and creates lethal pick-and-pop options.MORE: Here’s what Magic Johnson had to say about Davis tradeThis trade also immediately positions the Lakers as a player in free agency. Los Angeles will have $23.7 million or $32.5 million in room depending on the timing of the deal, according to ESPN’s Bobby Marks. That space could be used to sign another star like Kemba Walker (already a rumored target), Kyrie Irving or Jimmy Butler. Walker seems to be more realistic at point guard because Irving is widely expected to sign with the Nets, according to The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor.Or, if the front office wants to fill out the roster, it could spread that money out over a number of role players. After all, the Lakers will only have James, Davis, Kuzma, Moritz Wagner and Isaac Bonga under contract once this trade goes through. We already saw what happened when the team had zero shooting on the floor. (Maybe call JJ Redick once free agency kicks off?)As for the future, Davis (26 years old) can take the reins from James (34) once Father Time finally catches up with him. Davis’ trade demand may have changed his reputation among fans and media, but don’t forget just how good this guy can be. He still has his full prime ahead of him.Over the last three seasons, Anthony Davis has:* more points than Steph Curry or Kevin Durant* more rebs than Nikola Jokic or Joel Embiid* more steals than LeBron James or Klay Thompson* more blocks than Andre Drummond or Giannis Antetokounmpo* higher FT% than Bradley Beal— Tommy Beer (@TommyBeer) June 15, 2019But there’s a reason this trade isn’t an A+++. The Lakers gave up a ton of assets, and the Pelicans will essentially control their drafts for the next half-decade.There will be comparisons to the failed Dwight Howard-Steve Nash combo of 2012. The pick compensation will bring back memories of the 2013 Nets-Celtics that set Brooklyn back for years. There is at least the possibility things go south, forcing Davis to re-evaluate and consider leaving LA as a free agent in 2020. That would be a complete catastrophe. The counter to the traded-away-too-much argument: picks and prospects won’t matter if the Lakers win. Los Angeles had four top-10 picks from 2014-17 (Julius Randle, D’Angelo Russell, Ingram and Ball) and didn’t hit on any of them. Plus, it’s freaking LeBron James and Anthony Davis, not a broken down Howard or old Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.MORE: After Davis trade, are Lakers favorites to win the West?With Kevin Durant (ruptured Achilles) and Klay Thompson (torn ACL) out for the majority (if not the entirety) of next season, the Warriors won’t be the Western Conference favorites. The championship window is open — and yes, that’s the expectation. The Lakers must maximize whatever James has left in the tank.The Lakers have two top-10 players and put themselves in a position to attack free agency as well. They are instant contenders. There are dark future scenarios in play, but for now, the lights will be shining bright at Staples Center with James and Davis leading the way.Pelicans: APelicans executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin wasn’t involved in the nasty negotiations ahead of the February trade deadline. He brought a fresh perspective to New Orleans, and once it became clear he couldn’t persuade Davis to stay, he began searching for the best possible package.Consider this a massive victory for Griffin, who knows from his Cavs days just how desperate a team can be when it needs to build around James.Ball, Ingram and Hart are all intriguing prospects with potential to improve now that the drama is behind them. Remember, this core had been making progress under Luke Walton before James arrived.Jrue Holiday and Ball could be an elite defensive backcourt, as both players finished in the top 10 among point guards in ESPN’s Defensive Real Plus-Minus. There are some concerns about Ingram’s blood-clot issue, but he should be fully recovered ahead of the 2019-20 season. Hart can be a valuable rotation piece off the bench.The primary source of excitement for the Pels, of course, is Zion Williamson, the assumed No. 1 selection in this year’s draft. The thought of Holiday stealing the ball and kicking ahead to Ball, who then lobs an alley-oop to a flying Williamson . . . oh yeah, this team will be high on the NBA League Pass rankings. New Orleans could use some additional shooting to create better spacing, but that’s a terrific start in a post-AD world.MORE: Biggest winners and losers from the Anthony Davis tradeAnd the Pelicans are far from done when it comes to the impact of this trade. There is already plenty of interest in the No. 4 pick they just acquired from the Lakers, and it could easily be flipped for another player. (One fun hypothetical from The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie: using the fourth overall pick to land Bulls forward Lauri Markkanen. He’d slide in perfectly next to Williamson.) If they keep it, a young forward like De’Andre Hunter or Jarrett Culver makes sense. The future draft swaps and protections sound complicated, but they basically give New Orleans options and chances at snagging stars with LA’s picks. Even shorter version: Griffin thinks the Lakers will be bad eventually.Though Davis will still be performing at a high level, James will be in his late 30s when those picks are in play. (His current contract runs through 2022.) If the Lakers find themselves in the lottery, this trade will shift dramatically in the Pelicans’ favor.Considering the Pelicans didn’t have much in the way of competing offers — the Celtics reportedly wouldn’t include Jayson Tatum in trade discussions — that is a wild haul regardless of what happens next. It finally happened. Anthony Davis is going to be a Laker.The Pelicans agreed to trade Davis to the Lakers on Saturday, as first reported by ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. Los Angeles will send Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first-round picks (including this year’s No. 4 pick) to New Orleans. Kyle Kuzma, who had been a significant part of trade discussions, will stay in LA.