Lagos Marathon Holds Today, 100, 000 Athletes Battle for $50,000

first_imgA total of 100, 000 athletes from 27 countries including Nigeria will be participating in the second edition of Access Bank Lagos Marathon billed to hold from 7am to 2pm on February 11, 2017.64 elite athletes from 26 countries and 102 from Nigeria, as well as 30 special athletes will also be participating in the marathon scheduled to start from National Stadium in Surulere and terminate at Eko Atlantic City in Victoria Island.Addressing a world press conference on Friday at Eko Hotels and Suites, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode said adequate preparations have been put in place to ensure a successful event, assuring that the marathon had been designed to be bigger and better than the previous edition. Governor Ambode, who addressed the briefing alongside President of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Mr Solomon Ogba; Acting President of International Association of Ultra runners, Mr Nadeem Khan; representatives of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), and representatives of the sponsors of the event, said all the agencies of government participating in the event have been adequately mobilized, saying that Lagosians should expect the best.Speaking on the idea behind investing in the marathon, Governor Ambode, who was represented by his Special Adviser on Sports and Chairman of Lagos State Sports Commission, Mr Deji Tinubu, said the event was meant to showcase the excellence of Lagos to the world as well as encourage sporting activities among the people.He said: “We want to show the world that Lagos can be and Lagos can do what it is expected of it as a mega city; we want to show to the world the tourism potentials of Lagos; we want to show to the world that Lagos is safe; we want to show to the world that Lagos can be the choice destination for sports, tourism and entertainment and that is why we are doing this.”While appreciating all the sponsors that partnered with the State Government, Governor Ambode said it was gratifying to note that many of the participating athletes have picked up their running kits, while top notch security and logistics arrangement have been put in place.  He also said that the Sole Administrators of the Local Government Areas of the routes of the marathon have also been adequately mobilized, while arrangement for entertainment and fun packs have also been perfected for those not participating in the marathon.In his remarks, AFN President, Ogba said as the biggest commercial city and very important city in Africa, the Lagos Marathon was designed to be among the top ten marathons in the world, saying that he was indeed happy with the commitment of the present administration in the State led by Governor Ambode towards the marathon.He said it was a common knowledge that over 10,000 people travel to Lagos per day with no intention of going back and with a lot of attendant pressure on public infrastructure, adding that it was good thing that the government considered the event.   Also, Head of Organizing Committee of the Marathon and Executive Director of Access Bank, Mr. Victor Otoko recalled the success of the last year edition, saying that necessary preparation has been perfected to make this year’s edition hugely successful.He said provisions have been made for a total of 29 water stations along the marathon routes with adequate security to ensure that only the marathoners get access it, while all the special athletes participating in the marathon would be given appearance fees.  Explaining how the Marathon came into being, Project Consultant, Mr Bukola Olopade said Governor Ambode deserved to be commended for his sportsmanship that made it easy for the maiden event to be possible having given approval after presentation on the event.“Let me specially thank Governor Akinwunmi Ambode for understanding the context of hosting the event just within two minutes of discussing why Lagos, considered to be the hub of business activities in Nigeria and 5th largest economy in Africa should host the marathon,” Olopade said.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

No West Ham return! Striker rules out move back to East End

first_img1 Carlos Tevez has ruled out making a return to the Premier League – and hopes to sign for his hometown club Boca Juniors when he leaves Juventus.The striker has been playing in Europe since he signed for West Ham back in 2006 and was a star performes during his time in England with Manchester United and Manchester City.The Argentine international has continued his good run of form at Juventus, helping the Italian giants secure their position at the top of Serie A.Reports in England have suggested West Ham could make a shock move to bring Tevez back to Upton Park, but the 31-year-old says he will make a return to south America when he decides to leave Italy.Tevez, speaking to Italian newspaper La Repubblica, said: “My whole family and I are Boca fans and I want to play in that shirt once again.“I don’t know when, but I will return home. I’ve been in Europe for many years and I need my family – I miss my father, my mother and my brother.“I can’t complain as everyone has treated me well, but my mentality is Argentine and my desire is to go back to Buenos Aires.“Of course people would prefer if the Tevez family all moved to Turin. I like it here, but my life is over there. I’m a family man, as we say.” Carlos Tevez last_img read more

Related Fewer European visitors leads to more enj

first_img RelatedFewer European visitors leads to ‘more enjoyable’ continental holidaysPeople booking flights to Europe this year are having a more enjoyable time because of the fewer number of visitorsMore UK holidaymakers book long-haul flightsBrits are more likely to book holidays to longer-haul destinations because the cost of flights has come downPeople ‘certain’ to book more flights to and from the UKMore people will book flights to and from the UK because of the steep decline in the value of the pound Long-haul flights are now on “everybody’s wish list”, according to the Association of Independent Tour Operators (AITO).According to Ken Kenward, AITO’s executive director, booking long-haul flights is no longer considered a luxury by a growing number of travellers.”Long haul holidays have always been popular,” he said.”A long haul holiday is on everybody’s wish list and holidays now are more of a necessity than a luxury.”Mr Kenward added that people book long-haul flights for a number of reasons – be it to go on a gap year, find work abroad or to enrol at a foreign university.The Post Office Holiday Costs Barometer revealed last month that Thailand was the cheapest long-haul destination for UK travellers.The far-east country was 41 percent cheaper than Spain, the cheapest country in the eurozone.South Africa was one place behind Thailand in terms of value-for-money, while Kenya came fourth as it seeks to increase its share of the African tourism market. ReturnOne wayMulti-cityFromAdd nearby airports ToAdd nearby airportsDepart14/08/2019Return21/08/2019Cabin Class & Travellers1 adult, EconomyDirect flights onlySearch flights Maplast_img read more