Xavi donates €1m to coronavirus fight

first_imgRelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians Barcelona legend Xavi Hernandez has donated €1 million to a hospital in the city to help its overburdened health care system deal with the coronavirus pandemic. The former Spain international, who is the head coach of Al-Sadd in Qatar, has given the money to Hospital Clinic after the medical centre appealed for more resources to aid its response to the crisis. Xavi, 40, made the donation with his partner, journalist Nuria Cunillera, and said in a social media video that the cash would go towards “purchasing sanitary equipment for professionals and patients.” Lionel Messi has already supported Hospital Clinic’s call for action as part of a €1 million donation spread across Barcelona and his native Argentina last month. The Alcantara brothers, Thiago and Rafinha, have also contributed. Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola has also provided support to help Catalonia’s battle against coronavirus. He gave €1 million to the Barcelona Medical College and the Angel Soler Daniel foundation last month. Meanwhile, La Liga’s online music festival raised more than €1 million to be used to buy medical equipment in the country earlier this week. Spain has been hit harder than most by the global coronavirus outbreak. The latest figures on Saturday said that 11,744 people have died from the virus in the country – second only to Italy – and that 124,736 people have tested positive. Barcelona vice president Jordi Cardoner is among those to have tested positive in the past few days. He is self-isolating at home and is not in need of hospital treatment. The financial impacts of the coronavirus have also been felt in Spain, and Barca continue to look at ways to minimise the economic effects of the pandemic. After announcing an agreement for the playing staff to take on a 70 per cent wage cut, the club are now scouring the market for players that are out of contract in the summer due to fears their transfer budget will be slashed.Tags: CoronavirusCOVID-19DonationsSpainXavi Hernandezlast_img read more

Coach Bazdarevic revealed Plans that will delight All Fans of BiH

first_imgCoach of the national football team of BiH, Mehmed Bazdarevic, summarizing the whole year that is about to end, said that he is satisfied with performance, starting from the players, coaching staff and Football Federation of BiH.This year, the Dragons played nine matches and recorded six wins with one draw and two defeats. The year started with two victories in friendly matches against Luxembourg and Switzerland, and the first defeat came in the match against Spain.The national team of BiH had a successful performance at the Kirin Cup in Japan this year, where they won the first place with somewhat altered composition and without several standard national team players. They won against Denmark in the semi-finals after penalty shoot-out and in the finals they won against selection of Japan, lead by BH expert Vahid Halilhodzic.Encouraged by excellent performances and good results, football players of BiH started qualifications for the World Cup in Russia in September and won against the team of Estonia with the score 5: 0 in the first leg in Zenica.After four matches, BiH has seven points and it is in the 3rd place with two wins, one draw and a defeat. Our team is lagging behind the second-placed Greece by three points and five points behind leaders in Group H, the team of Belgium.He also commented on two top BH team members who play for Juventus and Roma, Miralem Pjanic and Edin Dzeko, noting that he is satisfied with their game. He said that the two of them did their best in a representative jersey, and that they contribute a lot to their clubs.He underlined that the expectations for the coming year are great, but that all of them have to be stronger. As he said, he expects from his players to be at the top of their game.BiH will play next match within the qualification for the World Cup in Russia in 2018 on the 25th of March, when it will be host to Gibraltar. Then we will welcome Greece in Zenica (June 9), then play guest match with Cyprus (August 31), and Gibraltar (September 3). In the last two qualifiers, Bazdarevic chose to host Belgium on the 7th of October, and three days later qualifications will be finished in Estonia.(Source: faktor.ba)last_img read more

Wrestling juggernaut Sushil Kumar withdraws from Tokyo 2020 trials citing hand injury

first_imgImage Courtesy: HindustanAdvertisement 7sicjtNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs693jxWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ec1( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 28nkWould you ever consider trying this?😱6rCan your students do this? 🌚45eRoller skating! Powered by Firework Wrestler Sushil Kumar, who is suffering a shoulder injury, has pulled out from the 74kg category trials for next month’s Asian Championships and the continental Olympic qualifiers in March. The trials are scheduled to be held in New Delhi on January 3rd, while the winners will compete in the year’s first ranking series in Rome from January 25-28.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Hindustan Times“I am not participating in trials as I am sustaining a minor fracture on my hand. I enjoy sports and only take part in any competition when I’m fully fit,” he said.One of India’s most decorated wrestler, Sushil Kumar, also submitted his medical certificate to the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) stating his unavailability for the trials.Advertisement “I have sent a medical certificate to the federation and they will look at it and discuss that in the coming days. I will abide by the decision of the federation,” he added.However, a spokesperson of the WFI said that the committee will sit on Thursday to look into the matter of Sushil and will make a decision on him.Advertisement “Committee will sit today and take a call on Sushil Kumar,” the WFI spokesperson confirmed.Sushil Kumar, who won consecutive medals in the 2008 Beijing and 2012 London Olympic Games in the 66kg category, is trying to compete in the challenging 74 kg category for the first time in his career.There have also been some doubts over his future; following his early departure from the Asian Games and the World Championships, while 18-year-old Gaurav Baliyan is emerging to be a strong contender to take his place.But if the federation accepts Kumar’s request then the young Baliyan will have to wait for a shot at international glory.India picked up four Olympic quotas at the 2018 World Championships and will be eager to earn another spot in the 74kg, 97kg and 125kg categories at the Olympic qualification event in Xi’an, China.You might also like: Wrestler Deepak Punia clinches World number 1 ranking in 86Kg categorySports Minister Kiren Rijiju wants kabaddi to be included in 2024 Olympic Games Advertisementlast_img read more