Taps played for the city’s fallen in Iraq

first_imgAs the strains of taps reverberated through Los Angeles City Council Chambers, city officials wearing black arm bands paid homage Tuesday to nearly three dozen Los Angeles residents who have died in Iraq. Councilman Bill Rosendahl, wearing his American Legion cap, read aloud a list of those who have died in the war. It was Rosendahl’s first public denunciation of the war. “I have been silent on it all these years,” Rosendahl told his fellow council members. “I was a journalist when the war broke out, and I had (Rep.) Dennis Kucinich on my show, and he said the war was based on lies. He turned out to be right.” With the war entering its fifth year and more than 3,200 American deaths, Rosendahl said he felt it was appropriate for the city to remember those from Los Angeles who were victims. Taps was played by Iraq war veteran Jeff Key. rick.orlov@dailynews.com 213-978-0390last_img read more

Beckham set to launch long-sought Miami MLS club

first_imgThe team is expected to begin MLS play in 2020 at a 25,000-seat stadium to be built in Miami’s Overtown neighborhood.Just over 11 years after announcing he would leave Real Madrid for the MLS Los Angeles Galaxy in a deal that included the chance to purchase an expansion team at a reduced rate, Beckham will make good on plans he first announced in February 2014.Several failed stadium sites delayed his consortium’s efforts, other MLS teams making their debuts while Beckham struggled to get his off the ground, unable to find an agreeable place for a specially built venue.The group edged closer to success last year after securing a land deal for a proposed stadium project, waterfront sites and others near the Miami Marlins baseball stadium and NBA Miami Heat arena having earlier fallen though.MLS Commissioner Don Garber said last month the Miami franchise project was “the most complicated situation in any market that we’ve experienced” because of the Miami area political structure and fast-changing real estate environment.Launch of the new Beckham-backed team will mark the second attempt to start a Miami-based MLS franchise.The Miami Fusion, which made their debut in the 1998 MLS season, played for four seasons before being cut from the league after the 2001 campaign amid low ticket sales and the lowest revenues of any team in the competition.Beckham, 42, retired in 2013 after a 20-year career that saw him win league crowns with Manchester United in England, Real Madrid in Spain, the Galaxy in North America and Paris Saint-Germain in his farewell matches.He also played for England from 1996 to 2009, winning 115 caps.His five-year stint in MLS with the Galaxy boosted football’s profile in North America and contributed to the steady growth in attendances across the MLS.When Beckham arrived in 2007, average attendances through the league were 16,770; when he ended his five-year stint they had increased to 18,807 per game. By 2017, that number had increased to 22,113.Beckham’s move to MLS was also followed by several high-profile European stars nearing the end of their careers.England teammates Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard both later moved to MLS, along with Italy’s Andrea Pirlo and Spanish striker David Villa.Announcing plans for his Miami team four years ago, Beckham said he had already identified players who he hoped to lure to Florida.“It would be disrespectful for me to say what players I want in the team. But we have a list of players,” Beckham said in 2014.“I’ve been fortunate to play with some of the best players in the world and some of them are calling me up to ask me when Miami is happening.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000David Beckham, pictured in 2017, will make good on plans for an expansion team that he announced in February 2014 © AFP/File / Toru YAMANAKAMIAMI, United States, Jan 28 – Former England captain David Beckham will unveil his long-sought Major League Soccer expansion team at a Monday news conference in Miami, bringing a conclusion to a turmoil-filled four-year quest.MLS announced Friday it will “make a major announcement regarding the future of soccer in Miami” on Monday, inviting ticketed members of the public to what is expected to be the announcement of a 25th league club.last_img read more

Wales 1-0 Belgium: Brilliant Bale blasts Dragons step closer to Euro 2016

first_imgGareth Bale was the savour of Wales again, as the Dragons clinched one of the biggest victories in their history to beat Belgium 1-0 and take a massive step towards Euro 2016 qualification.An unlikely victory hands them a three-point lead at the top of Group B with four games left to play, and also means they will be among the top seeds for next month’s World Cup draw in Russia.Manager Chris Coleman described it as the nation’s “biggest game for more than a decade”, against a side ranked second in the world which boasted both the Premier League and Bundesliga players of the year.But, apart from a threatening early spell, the likes of Eden Hazard, Kevin De Bruyne and Christian Benteke failed to click and the Red Devils struggled to really get going against the stubborn hosts.Chances came and went for Benteke, captain Hazard and Raja Nainggolan, who saw a low drive from 20 yards well saved by Wayne Hennessey, but the midfielder will be having nightmares about his dreadful defensive error which led to Bale’s strike, coming on the winger’s 50th Wales appearance.The Real Madrid star was played through by an attempted head back to the keeper, and displayed superb control to bring the ball down with his chest before coolly slotting through the legs of Chelsea glovesman Thibaut Courtois in the 25th minute, sparking wild celebrations at a bouncing Cardiff City Stadium.It was only the second goal the Red Devils have conceded in the whole of their qualifying campaign, and the hosts should have had another moments later.Courtios did well to get a glove to Aaron Ramsey’s initial shot from an angle, but striker Hal Robson-Kanu was guilty of a horrible miss on the follow up, sidefooting wide with the goal at his mercy.After the break, it was expected Belgium would look to spark a comeback, with Everton’s Romelu Lukaku joining Benteke up front to form an intimidating partnership, but instead they looked sluggish and rarely forced Hennessey into a telling save.The visitors were frustrated as they piled forward in the late stages, but Wales, who were encouraged by the earlier goal and grew in confidence as the game wore on, performed an admirable shut-out.Ashley Williams got a vital block in to divert Benteke’s header over the bar, while Nainggolan and De Bruyne whistled efforts just wide of Hennessey’s goal, but that was the closest they came.It was a heroic display from the dogged Dragons, with Bale’s 17th goal for his country sending Wales a huge step closer to their first major tournament since the 1958 World Cup. 1 Wales hero Gareth Bale last_img read more