Cabella out to emulate big names

first_img Cabella told nufcTV: “Yes, that’s something I am here for. I am looking to improve all the time and hopefully become one of the best. I just love improving. “I love to play. Big matches or little matches, I am always there. It makes me want to play more, the fact that this match is such a big one at the start, and I am looking forward to just getting involved in the season. “My first match at Newcastle is something I have been really looking forward to.” Cabella freely admits he modelled himself on Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo as a youngster, but insists he has become his own man as he has matured in the game. He said: “I loved to learn how to dribble like him and do the tricks, but now I am on the professional stage, I have my own way. “I am looking to improve all the time and Newcastle is a well-known, very good club. I just love to improve and that’s what I’m here to do.” Magpies boss Alan Pardew was delighted to have finally landed a man the club had been chasing since January, when they tried to sign him as a replacement for Yohan Cabaye. Indeed, the 52-year-old included himself in a vote of thanks he extended to owner Mike Ashley, managing director Lee Charnley and chief scout Graham Carr for eventually getting the deal done. The 24-year-old France international completed his move from Montpellier for an undisclosed fee on Sunday evening when he signed a six-year deal to become the latest recruit from his country to ply his trade at St James’ Park. He could make his competitive debut for the club in the Barclays Premier League opener against Manchester City next month, and he will do so hoping to follow in the footsteps of the likes of David Ginola and Laurent Robert. Pardew said: “I’d like to pay tribute to my staff, in particular Graham, myself, Lee and Mike and everyone on the board who worked really hard for this one because he’s a player we think is important. “Obviously, that’s represented in the fee and represented in his commitment to us as well. “I am just looking forward to seeing an exciting talent in the team and someone who can open the door. “Of course, he’s a player who has been on our radar for a while. It’s a marquee signing for us. “He represents all Newcastle fans love in a player. He has real flair, real hard work, commitment. But he is going to bring a talent to St James’ Park that I hope our fans are going to enjoy. “He’s got great ideas when the ball comes to him and, along with [former Ajax midfielder] Siem [de Jong], is going to improve an area where we definitely needed some help. “It’s part of a rebuilding process, and a big part of it.” Pardew finished last season under pressure after Newcastle wilted alarmingly following Cabaye’s departure for Paris St Germain, and he is hoping signings of the calibre of Cabella and Dutchman De Jong can help win over his detractors. He said: “It’s taken us a while to build and we have had to lose one or two great players along the way, Cabaye in particular. “But we always knew that once this summer came, we could make a bigger step, maybe, and hopefully that’s reflected in performances, reflected hopefully in our fans’ belief in the team and more importantly, for the players we have retained, the great players we have retained – [Fabricio] Coloccini, [Cheick] Tiote, Tim Krul, et cetera.” In the meantime, Cabella will return to the holiday he interrupted in Corsica to complete his move before throwing himself into his new challenge. The midfielder said: “It was nice to meet everybody and to come down, but I am definitely looking forward to making the most out of the rest of my holiday before I have to knuckle down and get in and start training with everyone.” Remy Cabella resumed his holiday already planning to establish himself among Newcastle’s great French imports. Press Associationlast_img read more

GBA/Bris/Mac `Nuff Cuff’ Int’l Boxing Card: Locals make light work of Dutch counterparts on an action-filled night

first_imgLOCAL amateur boxers made light work of their Surinamese counterparts when the Guyana Boxing Association, in collaboration with the Bris/Mac Promotions Group staged an international amateur boxing card on Sunday evening at the National Gymnasium, Mandela Avenue.As was promised by the promoters, the card saw `Nuff Cuff’ being thrown not only during the local fights, but also during the international bouts involving Guyanese and Surinamese pugilists.The card, which was scheduled for a 19:00hrs start did not get underway until after 20:00hrs, but once it got started, the handful of fans present were treated to some entertaining bouts by some of Guyana’s young pugilists, aged between eight and 11 years.After 10 local bouts, all entertaining, the four international encounters saw the Guyanese dominating all, with three of the four fights ending within three rounds.First it was Richard Subratte (Guyana) who scored a technical knock-out victory over his Surinamese counterpart Stefon van Ommereren in their youth contest.Ommereren started off taking aim at Subratte and sent him to the canvas early in the opening round, but the Guyanese recovered and took the attack to his opponent scoring with telling combinations.From the start of the second round, Subratte came out gunning for his opponent and caught him with a number of combinations to body and head staggering the Dutchman a few times and one second into the final round, just as the bell was about to be sounded for the start of the third and final round, van Ommereren’s corner threw in the towel to halt the proceedings.The second international contest saw Christopher Moore battle with Fitzgerald King and a lot was anticipated from King, but he lost his `throne’ as a result of a two-minute 50-second stoppage in the third round.The opening round could have been considered an even round as both boxers traded punches and seemed to have scored evenly, but from the second round, Moore stepped up the pace and connected steadily to the body and head of his opponent who tried in vain to counter Moore’s onslaught.Moore sent his opponent crashing into the ropes on two occasions and he (King) received two standing eight counts.As the fight continued, King came out in the third round attacking, but Moore, a seasoned amateur fighter was up to the task and responded with several body shots and during the final minute of the bout, Moore pummelled king with combinations for which the latter had no answer and the referee eventually called a halt to the proceedings.It was then Jason Bakker’s (GUY) time to take the ring and he wasted no time in forcing the referee to stop his contest against Marlon Leming at one minute 59 seconds of round one.Bakker was the aggressor from the sound of the bell and, using his height and reach, he stunned Leming with some telling shots that earned two standing eight counts and after a third assault on his Dutch opponent, the referee stopped the contest.In the fourth and final international contest Guyana’s Shaquille Craig outlasted Suriname’s Steven Lim to win by a unanimous decision.last_img

Angels sign lefty Ryan Buchter to minor league deal

first_img Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone TEMPE, Ariz. — The Angels signed Ryan Buchter to a minor-league deal on Monday, bringing in a reliever with a career 2.86 ERA.Buchter, however, may have been unable to find a major league deal because of baseball’s new three-batter rule, which minimizes the value of lefty specialists. Relievers will now have to face at least three hitters, or pitch until the end of an inning, which makes it more difficult to use a pitcher to face just one or two left-handed hitters.Buchter faced fewer than three hitters in 23 of his 64 games last season. Last season Buchter allowed a .904 OPS against righties, compared with .728 against lefties.ALSOManager Joe Maddon said the Angels will use relievers to pitch their first couple exhibition games over the weekend. … Utility player Luís Rengifo said he was confused by rumors that he was going to be traded to the Dodgers in the Joc Pederson-Ross Stripling deal. He never heard from GM Billy Eppler, and obviously the deal never happened. “It was a little confusing not knowing where I was going to go, but I am here now and I’m really excited to get the season started,” he said.Related Articles Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros center_img Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter last_img read more